• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Didn't see the link?

Reaction score
Nope, I guess it's just not going to work for me. Thanks anyway, Randy.

My mistake, I left out the term "code". So it's:

open bracket, "URL", space, "code", equal sign, quote sign, "true", quote sign, close bracket, insert URL, open bracket, "/URL", close bracket

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Thanks, Randy. Interesting experiment but it's just too much work, to be honest. I would have to write the post, include the link, then publish the post, edit the post to change the html to what you listed. That is a lot of steps to make it work. Maybe the MODs can have the support folks change the default html for embedded codes to have the right sequence you have provided?

Reaction score
Thanks, Randy. Interesting experiment but it's just too much work, to be honest.

I just threw the code for creating a link into System Preferences --> Keyboard --> Text
and created an easy shortcut for it.

Now, when I want to cite something, I just throw the code into my post via the shortcut, pop in the URL, and it's done. Easy Peasy.

If the site provided it's own shortcut to doing it, that would be even better. But I'm just happy that I found an easy enough way to do it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thanks, Randy. Interesting experiment but it's just too much work, to be honest.

Would that be the type of thing that Apple Script would be suitable for???

Certainly well beyond my abilities that's for sure... ;)

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Would that be the type of thing that Apple Script would be suitable for???

No, creating an AppleScript would be much harder.

Certainly well beyond my abilities that's for sure...

What part of it did you find difficult? Setting it up the way that I suggested was dead easy, and only took a couple of minutes. Where are you hitting a snag?

Reaction score
There you go, that's the code to copy and paste. Just substitute the URL for my Web page for whatever page you are citing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What part of it did you find difficult?

I was referring to attempting to set up such a procedure using Apple Script.

Your instructions, now corrected, seem fairly easy to follow.

- Patrick
=======

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Couldn't it simply be a different colour? i mean ther's nothing wrong with having the page topic/title so long as it's dicernable from the rest of the text.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What about if you use "return", then insert the link?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I use the method that I outlined previously, it works perfectly every single time, no matter what URL I choose:

Sports Illustrated

Randy, could you re-post your method complete with all corrections In case I haven't got them saved properly???

Thanks
- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
When I use the method that I outlined previously, it works perfectly every single time, no matter what URL I choose:

Sports Illustrated
All I see is the URL, no expansion. Is that what you expected? The original discussion was more about getting a sort of preview. See post #2. The full URL address for some links would be pretty long.

EDIT: For example: Change the picture for you or others in apps on Mac

With your code:
Change the picture for you or others in apps on Mac

I give up. Copy and paste of your code, then changing the URL yielded rubbish. This is simply a dreadful design that needs to be fixed in the board settings.

Reaction score
Randy, could you re-post your method complete with all corrections In case I haven't got them saved properly???

It is in Post # 22 with an example in post # 28. Nothing needs to be added or subtracted from these two posts.

There seems to be some confusion about what folks want to accomplish. What I wanted, and what I achieved, was an easy way to post RAW URL's (that are never-the-less hot, that is, clickable), rather than post a URL only to have it expand into some sort of little ad for the Web site you've linked to.

This is especially useful when linking to multiple parts of a single Web page, and it also makes it easy for users to copy and paste a link to save.

In post # 25 I outlined how to create a shortcut for pasting the code into a message, which is easier than copy and pasting it into a message every time that you want to use it. I apologize if this was too advanced and confusing for some.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Randy, I understand the process for putting the code into Replace, With in Keyboard text but I must be interpreting it wrong from your post #22 because it doesnt work for me. Could you just print it as you would enter it so I can just cut and paste it, please.:confused:

Reaction score
Randy, I understand the process for putting the code into Replace, With in Keyboard text but I must be interpreting it wrong from your post #22 because it doesnt work for me. Could you just print it as you would enter it so I can just cut and paste it, please.:confused:

I did, in post #28. Does that not show up for you?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.