Device pairing between iPhone and Mac Mini?

Reaction score
Is it possible to pair the iPhone 13 and the Mac Mini (2014)?
The goal is to enter text on Google Messages via the Google Messages for Web application.

This way, I can type messages from my Apple keyboard into Google Messages for Web from my desktop computer, the Mac Mini. That is, instead of directly typing messages on the iPhone keypad itself.

I've attached a screenshot to this posting of the device pairing procedure with Google Messages for Web.
As the instructions say, I open Google Messages and open my profile picture, but there is no device pairing option on the iPhone 13.

I also make sure that the same Google Gmail account is active on both the Mac Mini and the iPhone.

I used to be able to do this device pairing with an Android phone, but I don't know if the same application is possible with the iPhone 13. It may be that the only way to type Messages texts on the iPhone 13 is from the iPhone keypad itself.

Thanks for any tips.

Attachments

• google messages.jpg
    google messages.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 5

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It seems to me that if you are logged into the same app and google account on both devices they should sync anyway.
Pairing between Apple devices is achieved in the same way, if both devices are signed into the same Apple account in iCloud then they are effectively paired, see; How to Keep Your iPhone and Mac in Sync
Check that Handoff is activated on both devices.

OP
S
Reaction score
Everything is now paired up between the iPhone and Mac Mini.

Now I'm trying to add the Messages app to iCloud, but have not been able to do so, despite of the following pathway: iPhone > Apps using iCloud > Messages in iCloud > On.

Yet, when I check the iCloud website on the Mac Mini, the Messages app is "not" there.
Thanks for any tips on why the Messages app is not appearing on the iCloud website.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
You should have the messages app on your Mac, and turned on on the mac under your ID

1705740853808.png

Though actually in iCloud I do not see my messages.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
No, you won't see Messages on the iCloud site.
"You can use Messages in iCloud on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple Watch, and Mac. For your privacy, Messages in iCloud is end-to-end encrypted, which means you can't view or access Messages online via browser."

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Everything is now paired up between the iPhone and Mac Mini.

Now I'm trying to add the Messages app to iCloud, but have not been able to do so, despite of the following pathway: iPhone > Apps using iCloud > Messages in iCloud > On.

Yet, when I check the iCloud website on the Mac Mini, the Messages app is "not" there.
Thanks for any tips on why the Messages app is not appearing on the iCloud website.

Jim B showed you how to get to "Messages in iCloud" and Rod explained why you can't access/read them on the iCloud site.

If all is well now, then these two guys have solved your problem - end of story!

But, if you are having difficulty reading/accessing messages on any of your iDevices or Mac - the time-honoured approach - is to access iCloud on any Device, the Mac is the easiest way, then Turn Off "Messages in iCloud", reboot the Mac, then go back and Turn On "Messages in iCloud".

This method of "Turning Off", then "On" again after a reboot has shown itself to have solved many an iCloud sync problem between Devices.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Messages in iCloud is the way to sync across the Apple devices you are logged into with the same AppleID.

See if this article explains it for you,

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for instructions on how to sync the iPhone and the Messages app with, in my case, the Mac Mini. Instructions are clear enough, but I'm troubleshooting a technical issue. As the uploaded screenshot illustrates, I'm currently not able to enable Messages in iCloud because the sync button to do so in the Messages app on the Mac Mini is greyed out. Still trying to figure out why it's greyed out.

Attachments

• imessage sync now greyed out.jpg
    imessage sync now greyed out.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
What version of the OS are you running? Your image shows you are using iMessage, which was retired some time ago. The app is now named just Messages. It would help folks know which it is to make better suggestions.

EDIT: Let me be a bit more clear. iMessages is the transport mechanism that is set in Messages>Settings. On Sonoma, which I am running the screen corresponding to your image looks different, so you must be at least one version back from me.

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
I'm running Mac OSX Catalina version 10.15.7 on the Mac Mini.
Also, Messages version 13 on the Mac Mini as well (see the attached screenshots).

Just now I was able to engage the Sync Now button on this Messages app (version 13),
but that did not make Messages appear within iCloud on the Mac Mini. Apparently, activating Sync Now is supposed to update Messages in iCloud, but that's not applicable right now because Messages is not present in iCloud on the Mac Mini at present.

If needed in my case, there doesn't seem to be a way to update the Messages app on the Mac Mini directly from the Messages app itself.

Attachments

• messages version 13.jpg
    messages version 13.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 2
  • icloud.jpg
    icloud.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
You cannot see messages in iCloud, i.e. your second screenshot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If needed in my case, there doesn't seem to be a way to update the Messages app on the Mac Mini directly from the Messages app itself.
No, you can't. Messages is part of the OS, so if you can't update the OS, Messages will not update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
that did not make Messages appear within iCloud on the Mac Min
As has been said a couple of times, Messages will NOT appear in iCloud, ever. Messages just uses your iCloud account to sync from one of your devices to another.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.