Deleting subordinate @icloud email address

Reaction score
On my iMAC 10.14.6 I have my prime email account address and two other subordinate email addresses ending @icloud.com.
I want to delete one of those subordinate mail addresses but cannot find a route without deleting the entire apple account.
If I just disable the address any incoming mails will presumably just pile up undelivered on the server. Is there a way to delete the address completely such that anything incoming will get rejected as unknown address? my Prime address must remain unaffected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
By the term "subordinate" addresses what to do you mean, exactly? Are these "subordinate" addresses aliases, or totally separate iCloud addresses (and therefore, separate AppleID accounts)?

If you mean aliases, here is an article from Apple: Add and manage email aliases for iCloud Mail on iCloud.com

OP
B
Reaction score
By the term "subordinate" addresses what to do you mean, exactly? Are these "subordinate" addresses aliases, or totally separate iCloud addresses (and therefore, separate AppleID accounts)?

If you mean aliases, here is an article from Apple: Add and manage email aliases for iCloud Mail on iCloud.com
Thank you. I think it is a matter of terminology.
I have been experimenting and found that each of the "subordinate" mail addresses is, in fact, an individual account. I have managed to sign into the specific account I want to delete and can see all the base information but no way to delete the account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@bigscreen

No offence implied, but I think that you need to convey to us exactly how you created these additional email addresses.

I, perhaps in a minority, don't yet appreciate how you created these addresses.

There is a way, for example, within anybody's Apple ID to created what they call "hidden email addresses".

If your Apple ID address was "[email protected], you could create further temporary addresses such as "[email protected]" or "[email protected]". These are often used to sign in to an offer where an email is required to confirm your address. Thereafter, you would get info or whatever. But at any time you can completely obliterate that email address so that there is no spam or other interferences.

Is this your situation? Or did you create these extra email addresses in another way?

We need to know to help you.

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
I am so sorry I have such little understanding of these things and certainly dont take offence from anyone - I just dont understand.
I have found that these addresses are in fact Accounts. I cannot remember how they were created but they have been in use for about 5 years.
I can "sign in" to the Apple accounts with their own passwords and get all the details of the Accounts showing and they have two factor ID. What I cannot determine is how to close down these what appear to be completely separate Apple ID's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am so sorry I have such little understanding of these things and certainly dont take offence from anyone - I just dont understand.
I have found that these addresses are in fact Accounts. I cannot remember how they were created but they have been in use for about 5 years.
I can "sign in" to the Apple accounts with their own passwords and get all the details of the Accounts showing and they have two factor ID. What I cannot determine is how to close down these what appear to be completely separate Apple ID's.
Read the article I linked to in post #4. It tells you how to remove those accounts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
• iMac: Oct 2020, 27” 5K display, 500 GB SSD, macOS 13.4.
Did you go to iCloud.com/Mail and add alias email addresses???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

If you just want to disable those extra Mail email accounts from showing, you should be able to do so by going to your Mail.app Preferences > Accounts and select the account name you want to disable, and uncheck the option box that says "Enable this account", and that account and all its emails will probably become hidden.

If you want to see them again, check the "Enable this account" box option for that account.

If you want to get rid of all the emails and those accounts permanently, then delete the account name.

My apologies if I misunderstood what you want to do. ;-)

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.