Cycle still counting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M2 16GB Memory Apple M2 Chip, Somona
I just got new iPhone 12 Pro on Jan 20th and will try my best to keep cycle count low as possible. seems like it doesn't work my way when I charged it above 40 til it reached 80's somewhere and I still see cycle counting?? Am I doing it wrong cuz the cycle count I have now is 18...

Attachments

• Coconut Battery.png
    Coconut Battery.png
    119.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Cocnut Battery 2.png
    Cocnut Battery 2.png
    195.8 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Cycles are also partial. So going to 40, then back to 80% is about a half cycle (40% for sure). Do that two or three times and you have more than a cycle.

Don't sweat 18 cycles. If you go to 100%, then down to 50% for a half cycle every day, that will be about 185 cycles in a year. Cycles don't start to degrade battery performance until you get to about 1000, so that would be 5-6 years of use that way.

What to avoid as much as you can are deep discharges. Below 40% is really hard on the chemistry of the battery. So stay in the 50-95% range and you should be good to go. In fact on that iPhone Apple has smart charging, where over time the charging circuit "learns" your pattern of use and charging and will stop charging to hold the battery below 100% until just before it anticipates you wanting it, and then sprints to the 100% level for you. So leave it on charge overnight and in the morning it will show 100%, but won't have been there very long, which is a good thing.

Bottom line, don't sweat the cycles, don't discharge deeply and just enjoy the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just checked my iPhone 12 Pro. Coconutbattery reports 151 days old, 51 cycles, which is about right. I use the phone during the day, leave in on a desktop charger a good part of the day, let the battery wander where it will, put on on a charger on my nightstand every night. Been doing that for years. Never really had a battery problem that was related to cycles.

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got it, Thanks

Reaction score
What to avoid as much as you can are deep discharges. Below 40% is really hard on the chemistry of the battery. So stay in the 50-95% range and you should be good to go.

Is this also true for the battery in my MacBook Pro?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. That applies to all Lithium-based batteries.

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for great tip, I want to ask if I can plug my iPhone most of the day like I do on laptop, is it best to plug in power or computer usb? Even if I m on 75% it should be ok to plug in..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Either one will do. The iPhone will charge slightly faster on the power supply, I think, because the USB port (not a USB3, but USB 1 or 2) has current limitations. But it will work with either.

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Either one will do. The iPhone will charge slightly faster on the power supply, I think, because the USB port (not a USB3, but USB 1 or 2) has current limitations. But it will work with either.
Yes if I leave it all day I think usb will be best cuz its always 100% charged, no need for speed....I have USB 3. That will help keep battery cycle down..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.