Creating a collection before my iPad arrives

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If your main purpose for the iPad is reading (reading books). Get yourself a $50 eReader. Why pay 10x for an iPad when you can get an inexpensive eReader for 1/10th the price.:)

Even if you can figure out how to use Handoff (or something similar). Or even if Handoff worked no problem 100%. IMHO...Handoff still isn't worth paying 10x for an iPad (if all you're going to do is use the ipad as an eReader).

Now with that being said. I can't imagine once you have the iPad & start using it...that you won't find other uses for it (which could justify keeping it).:) But just an as eReader...an iPad is too pricey.

- Nick

p.s. Yes I realize you're in Turkey...and prices may vary from what I mentioned. But I bet the price difference between a generic eReader and an iPad is still huge!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA mid-2013 (10.12.4), iPad 5th gen (10.3.1)
Oh believe me the difference is more than you can imagine (Wait, it is really 10x, I guess).

Of course the only thing I will use it for is not reading books. I don't like eReaders, I already decided at a tablet, and since I had Macbook, why not an iPad, right? I'm going to try making this work for a couple of days, but if it does not work, and I don't find reading on a tablet better than the alternatives, I'll just return it. Not because it won't have any other uses. Like you said, I would find other uses for it. But what does iPad do that my Note 4 can not do, really?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I mostly use Kindle but checked my phone and ipad where ibooks is set to sync - and it does.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Both iBooks and Kindle will sync to all your devices provided you have them setup correctly as advised in the above replies. I do favor the Kindle over iBooks though.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm. Thanks for the suggestion. Does Kindle show PDF files not bought from Amazon?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi guys, once again. Just wanted to give you an update.

iBooks sync between devices well. It does not start where I left on the other device, but other than that, I have the same books on both devices. I'm on the look for a PDF editor/reader which supports handoff so that I can have annotated pdf files between devices. I have found one and shared it here, but this is definitely going to cost me money, so I'm trying to find the most solid one. I don't want to pay for incomplete/incompetent apps.

Continuity thing was a really big surprise. I tried everything. I started to do things that don't make sense. I got frustrated and contacted Apple Support. They made me do every single thing I did once more. Did not work. There was silence in the chat with support. Suddenly, out of nowhere, I decided to run Safari from iPad, and when I did that, it showed Chrome on the Mac (My default browser). Clicked it and there it was.

Now, if I can make iPad an effective and productive device for myself, I'm definitely keeping it. You know, the productivity thing is not just the device's burden, the person who uses it also needs to contribute.

Thank you all for all the help. I'll probably show up in the iPad and Macbook sections with questions later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.