Copy CD Problems on Mac Mini M1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M1 and MacPro 1,1
I have an external USB CD/DVD drive on my M1. It has worked fine for the few things I have needed to back up or transfer from an older system.
But we have a collection of CDs, mostly 20+ years old that we only listen to on very long trips by car. I thought I should make a spare copy for them as I am not sure what the remaining life on these things are, especially stored in a car in Summer. So here is the problem:
Only the one drive, so I make an image. I select the image and choose, write to disk. I insert a CD. It writes and passes. I reinsert the CD into the drive and I am presented with an unknown format error. The disk is recorded, but only a small part of it, not an entire recording as would be expected. When attempting to write another new disk I notice the write program has HPDVD etc. as the target. Not a single HP DVD around here. So I tried several different ways including rereading the source etc. to do this, but the copy program will only write to that HPDVD. There is a popup selector, but it is grayed out. I can change the writing speed, so I know that part is awake. I also think DVD being permanently selected is why the CD was short written as it is tightly written as a DVD format. Everything is up to date OS wise and the drive is an inexpensive "generic drive," but I don't have trouble writing/reading from CDs or DVDs otherwise, just copying one.
Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

How are you making the image? What program are you using?

Here is what we recommend:

Be sure to follow their instructions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.