Converting vinyl records to digital and use of GarageBand

Reaction score
I hope I'm in the correct forum for my inquiry. I want to convert my vinyl records to digital and use GarageBand. Two questions.

1. What hardware do I need for this conversion?
2. How is GarageBand used in this process?

I have a MacBook Pro (mid-2012) running macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Thank you.

Reaction score
I want to convert my vinyl records to digital ...

This used to get asked a lot. Here are a number of online resources that might be helpful:

The Compleat Guide to Digitizing Your LP Collection

USB Turntable comparison
knowzy.com/Computers/Audio/Digitize_Your_LPs/USB_Record_Player_Turntable_Comparison (unreliable link removed)

You are going to have some hurtles that you will have to surmount. Most of the hardware specifically designed to make converting vinyl to digital has been discontinued, and much of what is left is outdated and not easily adaptable for use with a modern computer. It's the same with much of the software designed specifically for this task. It may be easier, and provide better results, just to hire a service to do the work for you.

Good luck!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Can you give us an idea what turntable you're using? If you have a working turntable connected to a stereo, that could reduce some of the issues that Randy alluded to in his post.

This can be done with GarageBand but I'd probably use something like Audacity or Amadeus Pro.

Reaction score
Pure Vinyl hasn't been moved beyond Mojave yet, so that's out. However, as far as hardware is concerned I used a VPI turntable with the output connected to an RME Fireface DAC. I used balanced inputs from the turntable and balanced outputs to my amps. The DAC is connected to the computer with a firewire cable. Any software that can interface with that should work. I used Pure Vinyl to digitize and Pure Music to play.

Out of concern that PV may never be upgraded to 64-bit I am currently in the process of using it to generate 24/96 m4a files. Hopefully I will never have to use them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.