Converting & burning .iso to DVD

Reaction score
I've had a look around on Google, but can't find exactly what I'm looking for, so thought I'd ask here....

I downloaded a free movie which came in .iso format. I converted it with HandBrake to .m4v (the only options were .m4v or .mkv) with the 'Large file size' option ticked. Now, I want to put it on a DVD so I can give it to someone, so they can throw it in their DVD player and it will start playing.

I opened up iDVD, and clicked 'show the DVD map', so I could drag the .m4v file before the menu (so it autoruns & loops - pretty much want it without any menu etc). I dragged the .m4v file to that area and left it to encode for an hour or so. It then said that the file would be 6.3GB and won't fit on the DVD (I selected single layer 4.7GB), as the .m4v file size is 900MB, and the .iso file is 3.35GB.

Am I overcomplicating things? Can I just click 'burn' in the Disk Utility menu and it will convert those AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS folders from the .iso on to the DVD?

Pretty much I want to put this .iso file on to a DVD that can be put in to an old(ish) DVD player (maybe 5 years old), AutoRun (or if necessary, it can have a menu).

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

C

chas_m

You're overcomplicating this quite a bit.

1. Open Disk Utility. Burn disc from file -> point it to the .iso.
2. Choose "CD/DVD master" and insert the blank DVD.

That should be it. The resulting DVD should immediately begin playing the movie upon inserting the disk into the DVD player.

OP
B
Reaction score
You're overcomplicating this quite a bit.

1. Open Disk Utility. Burn disc from file -> point it to the .iso.
2. Choose "CD/DVD master" and insert the blank DVD.

That should be it. The resulting DVD should immediately begin playing the movie upon inserting the disk into the DVD player.

After I click 'burn' and navigate to the .iso I want, where's the "CD/DVD master" option?

This is the screen that comes up after step 1:

EDIT: Are you meaning 'create new image' instead of burn? See second picture.

Screen Shot 2012-09-18 at 9.07.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-09-18 at 9.14.13 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Do what you were doing as per the first screen shot, put a disc in then hit burn.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
That's the standard folder structure for DVD. Looks exactly as it should.

Run the DVD player on your Mac or put it in a standalone player and try it.

OP
B
Reaction score
That's the standard folder structure for DVD. Looks exactly as it should.

Run the DVD player on your Mac or put it in a standalone player and try it.

Looks like it failed the burning process for some reason (as some parts will play, but in the DVD player on my Mac, it says 'failed to read damaged area' - or something along those lines.

I'll try again tomorrow & let you know.

Thanks heaps for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd try burning at a slower speed and try a different brand of blank disc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.