Considering Mac Pro, please help

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 4GB ram
I was a little worried about getting the Mac Pro for gaming until I read about boot camp. If I ever get bored with WoW (not likely) and another game comes along... I don't have to worry about having a Mac build.... Although the initial game will end up costing me an additional $150 for Vista... :)

8 cores is slight overkill for a game optimized for 2... but I guess "go big or go home".

Carl

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 4GB ram
Well.... I canceled my order last night and re-ordered with a single quad core. I could not justify the cost of the 8 cores based on my usage patterns. I am sure there are people out there who could make good use of 8 cores but my simplistic use of a computer was better suited for 4 core and 4 gig of ram.

I used a different post on this forum to find a place that sells Mac ram... got two 1 gig chips for $130..... And I picked up the Apple extended warranty just in case.

Overall I am happy with the change, I feel better knowing I got a computer more suited to my needs, and I saved $200.

Now I got to wait two more days... It set me back in the order process to the start. Oh well....

This is a great forum. Thanks for all the recommendations in this link as well as all the great information in other parts of the forum.

Carl

Reaction score
Personally, I think you came to the right decision. Gaming and typical home use is not going to warrant 8 cores. Maybe in a few years, but honestly my pattern is to replace my computer every few years so I figure by the time I need 8 cores for gaming I'll be ready to buy a new system anyway.

The only people who really need 8 cores on a desktop today, or even in the next year or so, are those doing video editing, high end desktop publishing/design work, and possibly serious musicians. This is the target audience for the Mac Pro, so it does make sense for Apple to make 8 cores the standard on this machine. For those of use who want a powerful Mac for more everyday uses, and demand good (not insane) graphics performance the single Quad core with the GeForce option is a great fit. Personally, I think that Apple should try advertising to this niche a bit more, and really I think they should be making a push for gaming on the Mac. Gaming is a lucrative market, and can definitely sell more Macs for them.

Anyway, congrats on the purchase. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I am mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
My thoughts exactly svnipp.
Mine arrives Friday.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.