Connection problems with iPhone SE (new version)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
For some time now my new version iPhone SE has been having connection problems.

It refuses to backup, supposedly due to poor network conditions. Also, it says there is an update but does not update and it does not update in App Store.

It has a good Wi-fi signal, is located about three feet from the router and shows a full Wi-fi indicator.

There is no 4g signal where I live, but it should be using the Wi-fi. I tried removing the SIM card but the same result.

I have tried resetting the network without any change. It will not do a full reset as it fails to connect to Apple. It is signed in but has to authenticate in order to erase.

It hasn’t backed up since mid-February. It worked fine before then.

Tried removing the Public Beta - no difference.

Tried removing the VPN - that seems to have done the trick. It was working originally with the VPN.

Maybe beta + VPN doesn’t work?

Any ideas please?

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You say you tried removing the public beta, were you successful? Beta software (macOS and iOS) can be unpredictable. And have you been able to connect to Apple to do a reset after removing the VPN?

Be sure to check how much iCloud space you have remaining as that can impact backups. A backup to iCloud will not work if space is lacking.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Fairly sure it has removed the beta.

I have successfully backed up after turning off the VPN. Also erased and restored it just to prove the point.

Maybe try enabling the VPN once it has restored.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have successfully backed up after turning off the VPN. Also erased and restored it just to prove the point.

Sounds like you're back to normal.

I too use a VPN on my iPhone, however, it's associated with Adblock Plus. So it's not really the type of VPN we normally think of. It is very effective in blocking ads from certain apps that display them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
That is why they call it beta test. No guarantee it works, you are testing it. In this case, it failed.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is prompting me to update, even after removing the beta. I will do that and then try enabling the VPN again.

Waiting for all the apps to reinstall at present.

The VPN is Surfshark if it makes any difference.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seems fine now.

Evidently beta plus VPN is not a good idea

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.