Connection Issue (HELP)

Reaction score
Our provider's modem crapped out and they promptly sent a tech out with a new one. I set up the wireless on all three of our iMacs and also plugged in the ethernet for my machine. There are four ethernet ports on the modem, three are utilized, one with my iMac, one with the TV, one with the printer/copier. The ethernet ports on the other two iMacs were taken out by lightning 5-6 years ago so they are wireless only.

Problem is that none of the iMacs will print. I have deleted previous printer in preferences but can't seem to add another (same story with all three). The copier shows up and it finds the driver but doesn't finish the setup and can't seem to connect (also can't access the copier's web page).

I had a similar issue several years ago but, for the life of me, can't remember what the fix was except that it was simple......

Thanks for any help I might receive!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Is the modem, also a router, or do you have a separate router? If the new modem, is also a router, then, you will need to set up your home network for wi-fi.

OP
J
Reaction score
The new modem is identical to the one that it replaced, except obviously a different ID number.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Most copiers need to hold a static IP and then you set a reservation in the router for that ip address using the MAC address of the copier. If the copier is even able to be set to use DHCP then the IP address would potentially change making it unavailable to print to.

Assuming your network is still using the same IP address class and range like for example: 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or something that is identical to what you had previously, I suggest you find out the IP address the copier is holding and find out what it's MAC address is then create a reservation in your router to "hold" that IP address exclusively for the copier.

Lisa

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you, thank you Lisa. Jogged my memory, same problem last time we had a new router but I couldn't remember the solution. I called the copier rep and he walked me through the address thing. It was quite complicated but all I had to do was follow his directions, only took five minutes.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.