Connecting to Windows system

Reaction score
So I've got this current setup with shared files on all three systems:

- wifi router1 ('HOME' - wifi name)
- PC (wired to router1) - [WORKGROUP: BD]
- Mac (connected to 'HOME') - [WORKGROUP: BD]
- wifi router2 (connected to router1 via. powerline adapters) ('HOME2' - wifi name)
- PC2 (connected to 'HOME2') - [WORKGROUP: BD]

I can access the files between the PC and Mac - I imagine because there on the same network but is there any way I can access the files on PC2 wirelessly from the PC and Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I am not sure why you chose to have two networks - home and home2? Most set one router to handle the DHCP and internet connection and the second router is set as an access point and relays the signal to the first one. They would both be on the same network - in your case "home". This solves the problem of connecting PC2.

I am guessing but is home2 router also handing out IP addresses which means DHCP is enabled?

The idea behind one network router with access points (which can be a router set to bridge mode) is it allows for you to move around with a wireless device and seamlessly move between wireless points without dropping the connection.

If I was setting it up I would have the network named "home". Router1 would be in charge of DHCP (handing out IP addresses) and the internet connection. Router2 would be set in bridge mode to act as an access point to Router1. Router2's gateway would be set to the IP address of Router1. This setup would take care of PC2's accessing shares on other devices.

Lisa

OP
D
Reaction score
Hey Lisa, thanks for the reply. My issue has been resolved. I moved the powerline adapter connection to one of the other ports instead of the "Internet/WAN" port.

I am not sure why you chose to have two networks - home and home2? Most set one router to handle the DHCP and internet connection and the second router is set as an access point and relays the signal to the first one. They would both be on the same network - in your case "home". This solves the problem of connecting PC2.

I am guessing but is home2 router also handing out IP addresses which means DHCP is enabled?

The idea behind one network router with access points (which can be a router set to bridge mode) is it allows for you to move around with a wireless device and seamlessly move between wireless points without dropping the connection.

If I was setting it up I would have the network named "home". Router1 would be in charge of DHCP (handing out IP addresses) and the internet connection. Router2 would be set in bridge mode to act as an access point to Router1. Router2's gateway would be set to the IP address of Router1. This setup would take care of PC2's accessing shares on other devices.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Yeah only one should have the internet port and the other should be on a regular NIC port.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.