Connect to printer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MacBook, iPad & iPhone
I am running an iMac and want to connect to my Canon TS8350a printer which is cordless. The iMac 24", M1 is expected to connect to the printer cordlessly. How do I get it to connect to print my material? This is driving me mad. I am having to resort to an old Canon printer with a connecting cable.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I find Canon's instructions for printer setup are often poor at best and could probably be better written by a tech-savvy pre-teen. It's part of the reason I stopped using their printers.

If the directions Jake provided above don't work there is a video on the page linked below that might help.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The problem with wireless printing is the manufacturers seem to ignore Mac's connection options or they are so outdated as to be useless.
Broadly speaking if your printer is "online" (connected to WiFi) it should be visible to your Mac in System Settings >Printers & Scanners. If so, Add Printer Scanner or Fax in that window should get you to first base. I have an old HP Envy printer scanner which after purchasing my current M1 MBP worked in exactly that way using Bonjour. I did however have to download drivers from HP for the scanner and a Utility for servicing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thanks for that. I am using a 24 inch Apple M1 iMac.

I was already mentioned, with the printer powered on, and " "online" (connected to WiFi) it should be visible to your Mac in System Settings >Printers & Scanners?

Just go to your printer scanner setup, and wait a bit in case it doesn't show up right away, but it should automatically show up and then you can just select it there and use the options they provide you.

I think I also use the Wi-Fi setup menu feature on the printer itself of our Canon printer, and I think I may also have added it to our router which may have been redundant for the printer and it's accessible and works well from all our Macs and Apple iDevices.

If the included directions say to use the cable to make and set up the connection, don't bother, it didn't work for us, in fact it screwed up and I had to reset the printer setup completely and start again.

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Considering how old this HP Envy is I was surprised at how easy it was. It even prints from my iPhone.
I'd just make sure it is connected to WiFi on the same network as the Mac. The problem is more likely to be the printer I think.

Reaction score
I have a Canon MG3620 connected wirelessly to my Mac. In spite of that it sometimes shows up as "Off Line" and the ONLY solution I have found is to delete and re-add the printer. I don't know if it is a Mac or Canon thing. Sometimes I get "Searching for Printer" and that will usually work EVENTUALLY.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know if it is a Mac or Canon thing. Sometimes I get "Searching for Printer" and that will usually work EVENTUALLY.

Maybe you and the OP could try setting up the Canin printer using their WPS suggested setup method that adds the printer directly to the wireless router as part of their Wireless LAN network:
Setup the Wireless Connection using Wi-Fi protected Setup

Maybe that will make it more permanent for your situation.

- Patrick
=======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a Canon MG3620 connected wirelessly to my Mac. In spite of that it sometimes shows up as "Off Line" and the ONLY solution I have found is to delete and re-add the printer. I don't know if it is a Mac or Canon thing. Sometimes I get "Searching for Printer" and that will usually work EVENTUALLY.
..this is part of the reason I haven't used Canon printers in several years. One of the problems I had was that my Canon would periodically go offline -- especially if I did not print for several days.

The backbreaker for me is that it was virtually impossible to set up the printer on our wireless network without using their utility. In fairness, this was several years ago when wireless printing was first becoming a thing. The directions for setting up wireless printing were horrible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
..this is part of the reason I haven't used Canon printers in several years. One of the problems I had was that my Canon would periodically go offline

I will certainly agree that most Wireless printer setups using a Mac have certainly improved greatly from what they were several years ago which was an embarrassing awkward often not working mess, but the "printer offline" problem is certainly not unique to Canon brand printers or all-in-one units but it's usually fixable these days using the Reset Printers Procedure that usually fixes the problem unless there are other reasons causing the problem:

This is the common fix for the problem and actually can apply to all printer brands:
Easy Techniques to Fix the Canon Printer Offline Problem

We never had any problems with any of our Canon all-in-one printers and wireless printing or even an old HP printer that did us years of reliable service within our own network.

- Patrick
=======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When our second Canon PIXMA AIO croaked we moved to a Brother AIO. We've had it for several years and don't remember having that problem. If we have it hasn't been often.

Reaction score
Maybe you and the OP could try setting up the Canin printer using their WPS suggested setup method that adds the printer directly to the wireless router as part of their Wireless LAN network:
Setup the Wireless Connection using Wi-Fi protected Setup

Maybe that will make it more permanent for your situation.

- Patrick
=======
Don't know about the OP but I don't have that. I just use my Mac's setting window to delete and add the printer. It seems to do the right thing initially. Problems only crop up later.

Reaction score
I will certainly agree that most Wireless printer setups using a Mac have certainly improved greatly from what they were several years ago which was an embarrassing awkward often not working mess, but the "printer offline" problem is certainly not unique to Canon brand printers or all-in-one units but it's usually fixable these days using the Reset Printers Procedure that usually fixes the problem unless there are other reasons causing the problem:

This is the common fix for the problem and actually can apply to all printer brands:
Easy Techniques to Fix the Canon Printer Offline Problem

We never had any problems with any of our Canon all-in-one printers and wireless printing or even an old HP printer that did us years of reliable service within our own network.

- Patrick
=======
That's sort of what I do except I delete rather than reset. It cures the problem for a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's sort of what I do except I delete rather than reset. It cures the problem for a while.

As far as I know, resetting or deleting one's printer and creating a new replacement procedure is basically doing exactly the same thing.

Only the terminology is different.

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem
If you’ve tried all possible solutions and you still can’t print to your printer, reset the printing system. This process deletes all printers from your list of printers, deletes information about all completed print jobs, and deletes all printer presets.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.