Connect Canon VIXIA HV40 camcorder to MacBook Pro (Early 2015)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're Welcome. Let me know if that works. If recording with QuickTime of iMovie does not work I have a different piece of software in mind. it's kind of a pain to find. bit might work. That's kind of a last resort since the files have to be converted into something QuickTime understands.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks a lot everyone for help, today i bought the Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter & the firewire 800 to 4 pin cable and everything worked perfectly.
Great community with real support!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great news. Glad that works for you.

Just out of curiosity what software are you using to pull the files in? I'm particularly curious about whether the QuickTime Plater method works.

OP
A
Reaction score
Even though i know it sounds weird, but I'm using Windows 8 :) and i grab videos using HDVSplit, for HD broadcasting I'm using vMix. Did not experiment with those cables in MAC OS mode just yet.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it worked under Windows that's actually a good sign because it means the physical connection is working correctly. The Mac side should work also especially if the video does not contain copy protected information. QuickTime Pro or iMovie should both work. If you just need to do quick edits such as removing unwanted footage try QuickTime Pro first.

jeanina

Reaction score
I was able to successfully use Slydude's advice in his first post above with the addition of a Video Capture Card - HDMI to USB-C to my new MacBook Pro with the M1 chip and only USB-C port. Worked great!

The Video Capture Card cost about $20 from Amazon, overnight delivery, and came with a HDMI to USB adaptor, so I am also able to use my old MacBook Pro mid-2014 which is limited to the older USB ports and Thunderbolt...

Thanks Slydude!!

I had gone around in circles with this project of 100 plus old Mini-DV tapes transfer to MBP for the past few days, but with the Video Capture Card and Slydude's advice, I am now able to get the old video from these old Mini-DV tapes with decent video and sound! Yeah!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome. I'm glad that information helped you out.

BTW, what video capture card did you use? I tried two or three and had no luck getting them to work. One of the cards appeared to be English but must have been chinese given the wording of their support emails.

The sum of their tech support knowledge seemed to boil down to reinstall the OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I was able to successfully use Slydude's advice in his first post above with the addition of a Video Capture Card

WOW... That is pretty impressive, more than five years later and Sly's advise is still valid and works to this day. That's pretty neat... and actually quite amazing considering all the Mac changes that have happened over that period of time...

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.