Confused about adding a 3rd monitor to mac pro 2009

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to this forum but thought it might be the best place for advice. I've been searching the internet for a while and the more I read the more i get confused by different opinions or advice. It's probably a very simple answer I'm looking to be honest.

I have a 2009 Nehalem mac pro with two monitors attached. One to the mini display port and one to the dual link dvi port. I've been looking into adding a third monitor or perhaps an HDMI tv. I've read about the mini display port to dual link dvi adapters but I can't figure out how they enable a third display to be attached to a mac that has only 2 display ports. To me they look like they just convert a mini display to a dual link display.

I have read varying things saying I'd need 2 of these adapters then another person says I'd need 3 of them. Then another person talks about adding a second video card to the mac and creating 4 display ports in total. But then someone says this still won't let me have 3 displays working at once. So I just need to know the exact configuration I would need to add a third display to my 2009 mac pro that only has 2 display ports as standard. Do I just buy another display card to install into my mac or do I need a few of these mini display to dual link adapters at £100 a go.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Then another person talks about adding a second video card to the mac and creating 4 display ports in total.

Get a 2nd video card...this is the solution.:)

I had 4 video cards in my former 2009 Mac Pro. 2 video ports per video card = 8 possible total monitors that can be attached. Super easy!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You're very welcome. Glad to help.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.