concerned about the future

Reaction score
Hey guys, i bought a 27" Imac about a month ago now and i have been loving it, i look forward to using it everyday and its by far the best computer i have ever earned, but i have a problem thats grinding away at me constantly and to be honest, is quite worrying me.

I am using the C2D model of the 27" which is I believe 3.6GHz 3MB Cache with 4GB of ram and a 4670 ATI graphics card. The thing that is worrying me is i am concerned as to how long this computer will last me, I think to myself maybe 2 years yet i skimped and saved for a while to buy this machine. Apple are notorious for releasing products at quite a rapid pace I have noticed, Iphones coming out every year and new macbooks and imacs coming out at a constant rate, i'm worried as to how long this machine will last be until i need to upgrade. I know its not apples fault, technology advances so quickly, I would just hate this machine to only last me 2 years. I know its only a duel core, which are years old now and i just feel like my machine maybe on its last legs even when i just bought it.

I didn't get the I5 or I7 as i didnt have enough and at the time i figured Its to much for what i do, which is a little bit of video editing and browsing the net and just using it for general proposes. I don't really play games and if i did it will be light games like WoW or Sims. But its only about now that reality has kicked in and i am worrying about how long my system will last.

I guess i just want some reassuring that my system will be ok for the fews ahead and hope that it does run the next OS system fine, be it 10.7 or OS XI , i would just hate it to be a dated machine when iv just bought it as new : (

Thanks guys, sorry if you think im being paranoid or over-reactive, but its just how i feel.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Since it seems you are just now becoming aware of this, every single one of the manufacturers making the following have new models at a minimum of once a year. This is not limited to Apple.

automobiles
TVs
stereo or A/V receivers
speakers
computers
refrigerators
stoves/ovens
dishwashers
washer/dryers
DVD players
CD players
printers

Your computer should be as good in 2 years as it is now. My current Mac is now 3 1/2 yrs old and there are a great many of the regulars using even older models than mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Apple are notorious for releasing products at quite a rapid pace I have noticed, Iphones coming out every year and new macbooks and imacs coming out at a constant rate, i'm worried as to how long this machine will last be until i need to upgrade.
I've heard a few people mentioned this quick release of upgraded products from Apple. I really wonder where they are getting this idea from because as bobtomay said just about every manufacture does this especially electronics.

It might be that Apple gets into the news just about every time there is a new release of something from Apple so most people are aware of the new upgrades. Other manufacturers upgrade their products without much publicity by the media but they do upgrade them just about as often.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You have the 3.06 Ghz actually..the upgraded version is 3.33 Ghz..now apart from the money..does the machine do everything you wanted to do with it? Do you think in the next two years the things you do will change dramatically?? If not, I wouldn't worry about being obsoleted that quickly..

So if the iMac is working perfectly fine right now, and there WILL be a newer version later on with newer technology..how does that necessarily depreciate the functionality on your existing iMac??

@bobtomay has a very valid point..EVERYTHING changes, evolved, improves...you buy what fits your needs now and use it until it no longer does..if you do your research and buy the thing that DOES fit your needs..it will do so for a long period of time..

Regards

Reaction score
gosh, i thought i typed up a large reply to this last night and it's gone. maybe i'm crazy.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The only thing "notorious" is the fact that Apple has a "fanboy" base that wants to know every little piddly thing they do. You'll not find this "fanboyism" related to computers from Dell, HP, Toshiba, Acer, Sony, nor any other that I've ever heard of.

I'll lay odds that Alienware, and other high end manufacturers, have updates to their computer line 3-4 times as often as Apple does. Don't believe me? You should start reading Computer Shopper, PC Mag and a few others. Their equipment gets updated practically every time any new hardware hits the market from new motherboards, video cards, chip sets, CPUs, etc. Only most of the people buying a top of the line Alienware (or any other high end manufacturers computer) already know their computer is going to be outdated within 3 months.

All the hardware enthusiasts building their own rigs with top of the line parts know full well that at least some of the parts they buy today will be outdated within 2-3 months. The hope is their rig will last for 12 months before they just can't take it anymore and it's time to build a new one.

The best I can advise, is treat your computer as a computer, the same as you did with your previous Dell, HP or whatever. It's just there to do the job for which you purchased it. Were you going back to Dell's website every day, once a month, even once every 6 months to check and see what they had that was new? The answer is "No". There really is not a single reason to do it with a Mac either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
And for Apple on the whole their computers are supported for 5+ years after they are first released. And also they will work for that long too. If you want a computer that is the latest and greatest sure but one a year. But if you just want a computer that will do everything you want it to, very fasy with the latest Apps, then Apple is a good buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic
I am pretty sure 2 years from now your iMac will still be fine. There's still people here using older computers, and they run just like they did long ago. Sure you may not have the latest new processors, and graphic cards but your computer should be good for quite sometime.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.