Computer shutting down at 20% battery

Reaction score
So, i just got back from the Apple store with a new battery :D

I made an appointment online, went there and it seemed there was only one guy at the genius bar helping out 3 different people! He asked me to quickly and briefly tell him the problem, so i did, and he said theres probably nothing they can do for me cuz my battery is so old (295 cycles). I told him about how with the battery firmware update it extends the battery warranty to 2 years and he said theres no such thing. I sat there ****** off thinking i'm not getting a new battery because this guy was being stubborn. I told him about people on this forum got batteries exchanged as long as its under 300 cycle count etc and he wasn't budging.

After about 10 min or so of sitting there waiting for the "genius" to finish up with everyone else, another guy approached me and asked if i've been helped. I told him kinda by that other guy, he asked my name, he looked at his computer and said my case was still open so he'll help me out. He asks whats the problem and I start to tell him and he cuts me off after the first sentence like he doesn't need anymore info. All i told him was that the laptop shuts down at around 38%, doesnt go to sleep, just powers off. So he plugs in the serial number into his computer. After 3 or so minutes he says hes going to give me a new battery. Thats when a bunch of little men a party in my head..

So thats how i got mine just in case anyone wanted to know. Also i'm having issues with my charger just like in this thread where the light on it sometimes doesnt come on. After he replaced my battery i told him the issue with the charger and he played with it, cleaned the magsafe port, tried different adapter pieces but my magsafe was still having issues. Then he played around with his computer and he told me he was trying to exchange it for me. We sat there for a good 15 minutes with me watching him mess around on his macbook pro with various facial expressions. Finally he turns to me and says he's tried everything he could to get a free charger for me but the system won't let him. Everything he does throws up a price and not an exchange with no charge. So atleast he tried :D

At first i thought the first guy wasn't gonna give me a battery, but the second guy did it in a second. Actually, i'm pretty sure the first guy wouldn't have done it because of the way he was talking. So i guess everyones gonna get different results but keep trying. if they didn't change my battery i would of called the apple 1800 number right when i got out of the store and tried my luck with them.

Now to find a magsafe charger :|

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.