Computer shutdown when accidentally plugging Headphone into USB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air; 1.86 ghz; 2 gb ddr3 ram; 6 mb cache; 120 GB HDD
I know this is a user (me) related problem, but I don't think my mac should do this. It shuts down when I accidentally put my headphone in the USB port (very close to each other on MacBook air). Perhaps this is because of the increased voltage on the usb for the custom made superdrive? Or, is this an issue with my computer? Keep in mind I know this is primarily a user related issue.

PS: I don't recommend testing it out on your Macbook Air to answer my question.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i'm sure your probably completing some power circuit and causing the power unit to flip out and shutdown to protect itself.

i'd say this goes into the same category as throwing a car into reverse at high speed. don't do it.

Reaction score
Me too, me too.

I know this is a user (me) related problem, but I don't think my mac should do this. It shuts down when I accidentally put my headphone in the USB port (very close to each other on MacBook air). Perhaps this is because of the increased voltage on the usb for the custom made superdrive? Or, is this an issue with my computer? Keep in mind I know this is primarily a user related issue.

PS: I don't recommend testing it out on your Macbook Air to answer my question.

I just plugged my headphones into the USB by accident and got the "I think I just fried my computer" shut down. Scared the heck out of me too because my volume was up and my ear buds were in so when it happened I got a loud pop in my ears. Thought it was game over for my Air. TERRIBLE design IMHO. That's not the first time I've plugged in headphones by feel. Hopefully it'll be the last but seriously, that's a bad call by Apple putting a USB jack right next to the headphone jack -- especially if THAT'S what is going to happen upon missing the jack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
I just plugged my headphones into the USB by accident and got the "I think I just fried my computer" shut down. Scared the heck out of me too because my volume was up and my ear buds were in so when it happened I got a loud pop in my ears. Thought it was game over for my Air. TERRIBLE design IMHO. That's not the first time I've plugged in headphones by feel. Hopefully it'll be the last but seriously, that's a bad call by Apple putting a USB jack right next to the headphone jack -- especially if THAT'S what is going to happen upon missing the jack.

Well, the purpose of the Air was to be small and compact. Why would you put the ports half way down the side of the machine when you could have them right next to each other? I always look when I plug in headphones. I don't want to scratch the side of the computer.

- Kyle

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How does one "plug" in any USB device to a headphone input port or even an audio output port?

I've been in the electronic repair business for years and have seen folks plug things in where you would never think would be possible. Sort of like the old joke where the guy manages to get all the square plugs into the round holes. ;P

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Same difference. Doesn't surprise me anymore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.