Color of your apple???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz
Padawan said:
I was a bit bored and this thread inspired me, so I took some blue film and installed it behind the Apple in my iBook. I think it looks great (can't even tell that it didn't come from the company that way).

Padawan can you post pictures of what it looks like? Was it pretty easy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
oldnews said:
Padawan can you post pictures of what it looks like? Was it pretty easy?

I just snapped a few pictures really quickly, but unfortunately I didn't take any while I was in the process of doing it, so all I have is the end result.

It was actually very easy to do. The most difficult thing I think someone would run into would be finding the correct bit (I had a large assortment set, so it wasn't a problem) to remove the four screws securing the panel. After that, all I did was cut the piece of film to size, tape it in place with transparent tape, and reattach the lid cover. The entire process probably took less than 10 minutes and as I said, you'd never be able to tell that it didn't originally come from the Apple factory this way, even if you examined it closely.

IMG_2383.jpg

IMG_2386.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2384.jpg
    IMG_2384.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 69
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerboook G4 17" 1.67GHz 512MB ram, iPod 60GB, iPod shuffle
Sweet pic u have there.
i have 3 years warranty. and i dont feel like voiding it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Echo_ said:
what type of film is that??

I would imagine that any type of colored transparent film would be fine. To be honest, I didn't really plan it out when I did mine last night, so I just used something that was available. I had a piece of Plexiglass, and it had a blue protective film on both sides of it. It turns out that this film was the perfect color for what I wanted, so I used a piece of it and it worked out really well.

OP
G

Gar

hey padawan, i removed the 4 screws around the outside of my i book but nothing came loose. i pulled a bit at the top but didnt want to overdo it. should the top come off by just removing those 4 screws?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gar said:
hey padawan, i removed the 4 screws around the outside of my i book but nothing came loose. i pulled a bit at the top but didnt want to overdo it. should the top come off by just removing those 4 screws?

Once all the screws are out, you need to gently pry the edges with your fingers in order to unsnap the lid.

OP
S

SamR

I think the colored logos can look really cool on the ibooks since the outer casing is white, but I don't think I would like any other color on my powerbook than white.

OP
I

iDVFH.

The illuminated Apple does make the front of the laptop cooler, but what was the purpose for them to do that? Lol. Is it pretty much a nice-looking marketing strategy?

OP
S

SamR

DV'SiBOOKG4 said:
The illuminated Apple does make the front of the laptop cooler, but what was the purpose for them to do that? Lol. Is it pretty much a nice-looking marketing strategy?
I think it's one of the coolest things asthetics wise. Finally they got it right, on the G3 PB the Apple is upside down, so you only see it correct when the lid is closed. When you have your computer open everyone else sees an upside down logo which isn't cool. I think it's sweet how it changes brightness with your screen brightness.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
Retro apple iBook

I did the old school logo not too shabby for a 5 min job. :mac:

DSCF0507.JPG

DSCF0500.JPG

OP
J

jbsengineer

Thats awesome!

Any suggestions on what to use for transparent plastic?

Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
You can go online and find an old logo i printed mine on regular paper. When you take off the top cover cut out the piece of paper that is where your logo will be tape the logo to the inside of the coverand thats it.

OP
J

jessica

you can get a old school apple logo decal from ebay for like 2 dollars and use that.
i think it looks amazing, the pics we got to see...but like everyone else, I would not want to buy a powerbook and void the warranty.
now....if you took it to a genius bar and asked them to open it up....and ask them if you can slip something in----who knows!

Reaction score
This might be a bit of a big request, but could you make a tutorial with pictures on how to do this? It looks so freaking cool i cant wait to do it to my soon to arrive black macbook!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.