Clicking noises on MacPro

M

MacHeadCase

Option key, Alt for Windows users. Apple now has both on the key on newer keyboards.

option_key.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 2x 3 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Zeon. 2GB Ram. NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT. OSX 10.4.10. 2x NEC 19' Mon
Al, I don't think software gone bad would make a clicking sound.

So use an external hard drive and back up regularly, even daily for heaven's sake: you might have a very nasty surprise one day that no matter how many times you try to reinstall, the installer will not find a hard drive to install itself on and you'll lose all your data... And there won't be a single thing you can do about it because it'll be too late.

Hi MHC, I hear what you're saying, I did a major back-up last night. The 'noises' are a clicking/grinding noise, it's a bit hard to explain, it's a bit like Robby the Robot in Forbidden Planet (Hope this reference is not too obscure, we all remember Robbie..Right?). It's a bit quieter than that though, it's always been there from day one, I wish now I'd had it checked out. it occurs when the Mac is tasking, opening and closing apps, refreshing etc, and it's quite sluggish, and my Mac at work doesn't do that noise. Could the graphics card make that noise?

M

MacHeadCase

I would highly doubt it. The only times I've read of this type of sound (it never happened to me *touch wood*) was when a hard drive was failing. It's still time to get yourself an external and use SuperDuper! on your stuff if you are using OS X 10.4.x Tiger (SuperDuper! is not yet compatible with Leopard but the dev is hard at work to update the app).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 2x 3 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Zeon. 2GB Ram. NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT. OSX 10.4.10. 2x NEC 19' Mon
SuperDuper? Never Heard of it...sounds er!..good though, gotta link?

M

MacHeadCase

Google the name SuperDuper! (correct spelling). Leaving for school now, sorry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.