Clicking noise on left side

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 2.93Ghz i7 iMac 16GB, 15" 2.66 Ghz i7 MBP 8GB, 2.13Ghz MBA 4GB, iPhone4 32GB, iPad3G 32GB
Mine is different, I do not use external speakers, and it happens while sound is going on. The time I notice it the most, because I am listening, is when I am playing a movie in bed. The sound gets annoying, hard to concentrate on the movie.

I hope the inverter board works, cuz then I no longer have clicking, but I also hope it doesn't, because a replacement would be grand.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 2.93Ghz i7 iMac 16GB, 15" 2.66 Ghz i7 MBP 8GB, 2.13Ghz MBA 4GB, iPhone4 32GB, iPad3G 32GB
New inverter board and LCD screen, and the clicking/popping is still there. Another appointment in 2.5hours. I hope they give a me new one like they said they would.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody OS X SL
Well good luck with the search for an answer! I actually have the exact same problem! Clicking is on the left side, not the HDD, and just when I'm sitting idle not doing much of anything at all such as a movie. Clicking is almost at regular intervals but will mysteriously stop and resume with sometimes days between occurrences...

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I was handed a brand new unibody Macbook Pro. I am pretty stocked. I was given my 4GB of ram back, but I want the 1067mhz DDR3, so I am ordering some from OWC.

Faeran, if you are under warranty, take it in. Otherwise I don't know what to tell ya. Macsuperstore (an Apple Service Provider in my city) said they thought it might have been the magsafe plug. I have no idea if he means the actually plug, or the place it plugs into, because the clicking would happen when it wasn't plugged in.

Don't let them charge you for new I/O board, new fans, or a new inverter, didn't fix mine.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Wow, that is incredible. Sure, you had to go through a bit of trouble, but what a nice upgrade!

Reaction score
I have the EXACT same problem. This post was a huge help, I thought i would be the only one. glad to hear the outcome was so good! :)

Reaction score
I just noticed mine doing the same thing. One thing is that is seems to do it more when the screensaver is on, I believe. Definitely coming from the upper corner near the magsafe and intermitent.

Reaction score
Same problem here

I'm having the same problem with my new MacBook Pro. When I first heard it, it startled me because it sounds just like a hard drive click. My only thought was, "This hard drive can't be failing, it's only 1 week old!" Glad to hear that other ppl have the same issue. Hope I can get it resolved soon too.

Reaction score
I am having the same problem. It is clicking on the left side. I thought the HD was dying. Too bad my Applecare ended in April. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem

I'm running into the same problem. Typically when I have lots of stuff plugged in (e-net, external display, two USB and external speakers).

I originally thought HD, and Apple swapped out my old one to see if that might solve the problem.

Guess not... :)

I'll print this thread out and head back to the store... :(

Steve

Reaction score
Same problem ..

Just in case it can help anyone else -
Here is my experience.

The MacBook Pro is kinda old (more than two years old) -
I kept hearing that tick tick tick from the top left corner (ESC/plug area).

After reading this thread I tried the following -
I have no sound output at all - The volume is down to 0 -
If I play an MP3 by clicking play on the file the ticking noise stops -
If I pause the MP3 the ticking noise resumes immediately of after a while -
And again I actually have no sound playing it's down to 0.

Didn't gather yet what is the fix -
Gonna read more on it.

EDIT:

Even stranger -
I can stop and start the ticking systematically with the trick above
when I play and pause an MP3 file playback -
But it will not work if I play and pause the MP3 in VLC.

Reaction score
Fast repair turnaround....

Mine kept getting worse and worse until it was clicking almost all the time. I called Apple support on Thursday afternoon who said they'd arrange for a repair. I cloned my internal drive, and then

Friday 8:15am: A box shows up on my front door
Friday noon: I put the computer in the box to FedEx/Kinkos
Monday: They received, repaired and reshipped it
Tuesday 8:15am: I received the repaired, and now silent unit. (that was FAST!)

The paperwork claims they replaced only the hard drive, but because the Apple Store had done that once before, I'm not sure that's all they did.

Regardless, the clicking sound is now "gone".

Steve

Reaction score
Clicking as well resulted in new Sandy Bridge Laptop

Hi There,
This exact forum post was a bit of a reference point for me, when my Santa Rosa Chipset, Late 2007 Macbook Pro started clicking as well. I was in the last month of my 3 year Apple Care when I took it into be repaired. In the end, much was replaced, but they could not fix it, resulting in them agreeing to send me a new laptop as well. It was a painful process, but in the end resulted in satisfaction. You can read the whole story on my blog at Bob-Cates-Blog where I also have posted a video of the clicking noise, which demonstrates how it clicks with our without power plugged in, and even asleep!
Cheers
:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro (OSX Lion, 2.4 i5, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD), iPhone 4
Tick tick tick tick tick...

This is driving me insane. Has there been a solved issue yet, besides getting a new comp?

I think I am going to have to bring it in to have them look at it. I'm going to go nuts listening to it!

Reaction score
The clicking has returned!

Mine kept getting worse and worse until it was clicking almost all the time. I called Apple support on Thursday afternoon who said they'd arrange for a repair. I cloned my internal drive, and then

The paperwork claims they replaced only the hard drive, but because the Apple Store had done that once before, I'm not sure that's all they did.

Regardless, the clicking sound is now "gone".

Steve

So... fast forward 1 year. The clicking sound came back slightly in November, and then with a vengeance in Feb. Apple has replaced the drive (three times now), the bluetooth board (which required a new display and cover), the logic board, and the battery, and it's STILL CLICKING.

I'm about to try to enforce the lemon law with them (new machine on 4th service). This is getting truly annoying....

I do have an open case with Apple at this time, and have posted a thread on discussions.apple.com at https://discussions.apple.com/message/18039118 (but there have been no replies there yet). I'll update this thread as this issue moves forward... :(

Reaction score
Hi There,
This exact forum post was a bit of a reference point for me, when my Santa Rosa Chipset, Late 2007 Macbook Pro started clicking as well. I was in the last month of my 3 year Apple Care when I took it into be repaired. In the end, much was replaced, but they could not fix it, resulting in them agreeing to send me a new laptop as well. It was a painful process, but in the end resulted in satisfaction. You can read the whole story on my blog at Bob-Cates-Blog where I also have posted a video of the clicking noise, which demonstrates how it clicks with our without power plugged in, and even asleep!
Cheers
:D

Just FYI, I went to "listen" to your demo, but apparently the blog has been pulled. Do you have a new URL for your post?

Steve

Reaction score
So... fast forward 1 year. The clicking sound came back slightly in November, and then with a vengeance in Feb. Apple has replaced the drive (three times now), the bluetooth board (which required a new display and cover), the logic board, and the battery, and it's STILL CLICKING.

I'm about to try to enforce the lemon law with them (new machine on 4th service). This is getting truly annoying....

I do have an open case with Apple at this time, and have posted a thread on discussions.apple.com at https://discussions.apple.com/message/18039118 (but there have been no replies there yet). I'll update this thread as this issue moves forward... :(
Latest update: Apple graciously volunteered to replace the machine without any pushing at all. Since I had ordered a custom built machine (max CPU speed), they just replaced it with a current model! This is just one of the reasons I've been an Apple customer since 1980...

I don't know if they'll pursue the "reason" for the clicking on my old machine, but I've asked that if they do to let me know what might have been the cause (if they can). If I hear back, I'll post it here...

Steve

Reaction score
The clicking noise is most likely caused by a spring connector that touches the bottom of the body:
from another post:
Since a while now I can hear a metallic ticking clicking sound coming from my new MacBook Pro i5 Unibody. It can be described as a glassy, high-pitched scraping sound. Sometimes, moving the computer or resting your hands or just touching it will cause the noise. Other times, the noise just happens of its own accord.

Because I have a SSD I knew it was not the hard drive I was hearing. I did wonder if I was the only person who had this problem, but I quickly found out there are a bunch of others who also complain about this clicking sound inside their MacBook Pro Unibody. There are even some who had record the sound of it or have made some YouTube video to show how it can be reproduced.

Don’t even try to ask the Apple Genius Bar or the Apple Support Department, they do not even know what you are talking about, stating it is the CD laser head locking sensory system you are hearing.

I had finally found a solution, and fixed the problem of this strange clicking sound in my MacBook Pro. All this thanks to Ten 1 Designer’s blog, the maker of the now famous pogo sketch stylus.

Here’s how to solve the tick-click sound in your MacBook Pro Unibody:

You need to unscrew the back cover of your MacBook Pro and remove a little spring connector that touch (and scrape noisily) the bottom of the metallic casing when the computer heat up.

Ten 1 explain why removing this little connector will solve the problem (and it did) and also why it is not a crucial piece of equipment in your MacBook Pro:

The bottom cover of the MacBook Pro serves as a shield for radiated electromagnetic energy. A great shielding strategy is to find a huge piece of metal, and connect your circuit to that metal wherever possible. The MacBook Pro Unibody enclosure and bottom cover make a terrific shielding system.

One of the connectors in this system touches the bottom plate right in the center where it flexes a lot. When the computer heats up, the metal pins in the connector scrape noisily against the cover and chassis. It makes you want to eat your hands.

By removing the connector (two easy screws!), you remove one of the grounding connections between the unibody enclosure and the bottom cover. Don’t worry: there are plenty of other connections, and they are adequate for the purpose.

Result: Quiet, harmonious environment restored.
Fix the ticking clicking sound in your MacBook Pro Unibody - 6ix Passions

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.