Clean out Mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mini M1 16 gig and Air 2018 8 gig
I opened a piece of mail the other day. Normally I never do like that. This one was clever in its title. Anyway I opened it and it just said "Safari cant open URL....
I think I shouldn't have opened it. What can I run to see if I have a V or malware....?
Big Sur

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I think I shouldn't have opened it. What can I run to see if I have a V or malware....?

I think you just discovered that it is actually a dud.

If you are concerned and want to check your Mac, you could download and run the free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.app.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Or DetectX Swift, or Virusbarrier Scanner, both of which do as good, if not better, than Malwarebytes these days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Or DetectX Swift, or Virusbarrier Scanner, both of which do as good, if not better, than Malwarebytes these days.

Thanks Jake,
I seem to have a mental block about remembering the name of DetectX Swift.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
That's OK, Patrick. You've got me to remember! :)

Reaction score
I opened a piece of mail the other day. Normally I never do like that. This one was clever in its title. Anyway I opened it and it just said "Safari cant open URL....

Well, first, if this sort of thing makes you paranoid, you can just turn off the setting that allows Mail to automatically load links in incoming e-mail:

In Mail...
In the Mail menu, choose Preferences
Choose the Viewing tab
UNCHECK "Load Remote Content In Messages."
From now on, you will have to click on any URL's in incoming e-mail messages for them to load. It won't happen automatically. So you can open any e-mail that you like with complete abandon.

Now...to the question of whether you have malware. You can check with:

DetectX Swift (free)
https://sqwarq.com/detectx/
For adware.

and

VirusBarrier Free Edition (free)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/VirusBarrier-Scanner/id1200445649
For malware other than adware.

But, I can tell you now that you aren't infected with any sort of malware. (At least from that e-mail.) How do I know? Because unlike Windows, for which there are millions of pieces of malware, for the Macintosh there is only a handful of malware. And it is more or less all known, including which vectors it arrives by and what it does. While viral e-mails are a huge problem for Windows users, it is just about unheard of for the Macintosh. I can't even remember ANY Mac user EVER reporting that they were infected via an e-mail (I'm not talking about phishing e-mails, which aren't malware).

Generally the answer to "is my Mac infected with malware" is almost always "NO". But the two free programs that I mentioned above are very valuable. Just run them and they almost instantly let you know that you aren't infected by anything. (They may flag a Windows virus that can show up via e-mail. But those are entirely benign when on your Macintosh.)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A point of clarity if I may:

To follow Randy's excellent advice - the "BLOCK all Remote Content" is located under "Privacy" and not "Viewing". This is in Monterey.

PS If you check "Protect Mail Activity", it seems that covers the "Block Remote Content" anyway as it becomes greyed out as an option.

Ian

Last edited:
Reaction score
A point of clarity if I may:

To follow Randy's excellent advice - the "BLOCK all Remote Content" is located under "Privacy" and not "Viewing". This is in Monterey.

Ah..sorry! It was under the "Viewing" tab in earlier versions of Mail.

OP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mini M1 16 gig and Air 2018 8 gig
worked good, thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.