Clean Install is not going right...Please Help!

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Hi Again...The clean install was futile. It did OK for a littl while, but the beach balls starting coming more frequently and Onyx and zapping pram/nvram only worked for a day or two. it turned out the hdd had bad sectors. The Apple Store has it at the moment replacing the hdd. Thank goodness I purchased Apple Care and it ends in August...whew! Also, I purchased Carbon Copy Cloner and made a full back up two days before the hdd finally gave up the ghost. I requested the techs at the Apple Store to allow me to install the OS since I want to stay with SL 10.6.8 and do a clean install of the OS and all apps in case these may have been corrupted on both TM and CCC. The only question I have is how might I omit loading all the printer drivers that come with the OS installation? I do not want or need all those drivers and they take up space. Also, the applications disc has Garage Band 9 and I don't want it on there because I know I had Garage Band 11. Last time I had to uninstall GB 9 and dl GB 11 from the App Store. GB did not come on my Mac Mini when I purchased it new. I bought GB from the App Atore...but during my last clean install I bought OS 10.6 disc from A[pple although I had my original disc and when I ran the combo updater it put GB 9 on there! Any help, answers, or comments? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Don't worry about the drivers. You don't use them so they don't take up much space. If you need Garage Band after setting up OS X.6.8you can go into the App Store, hold down Option and hit purchases, select GB and download f.o.c. if need be.

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Thanks harryb...Here is the issue...when I first bought my Mini in 2010 it did not come with GarageBand. So I purchased Garage Band from the App Store last year. Although I still have my original OS Snow Leopard disc, I purchased another one from the Apple Store because I assumed it would be the total, complete, full blown Snow Leoaprd 10.6.8 OS. It isn't...one still has to download the Combo Updater. Using this new OS disk and running the Combo Updater, Garage Band 9 gets installed. Garage Band is on version 11.

My question is...do I just go ahead and allow GB 9 to be installed and then when all is said and done, uninstall it and dl version 11 from the App Store...or is there a way I can just by-pass installing GB 9 during the clean install process and wait get the current GB 11 dl (f.o.c. of course) from the App Store again? In other words, can I avoid installing GB9 from the start because I will have to uninstall it anyway before I can dl GB 11? As it has been discussed before, I am anal...I like to maintain a neat, clean, tidy HDD. Partial folders, files, and remnants from deleted or uninstalled stuff bothers me. Maybe I am still holding on the the horrible Windows experiences and nightmares from years ago.

By the way, my mid-2010 Mini didn't come with iWeb, Garage Band, or iPhoto. I have them now with the new Snow Leopard disc and running Combo Updater...so purchasing the Snow Leopard disc in combination with the Combo Updater was well worth the $20 for the additional apps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.