Clean Install and Speed

Reaction score
Would it improve performance to wipe/clean install Mac OSx on my 1.5 yr old macbook? I am not sure if like PC's the mac accumulates programs and what not that will slow it down. If so should I use the old 10.4 software or invest in the latest and greatest, I have heard the macbook I have is optimized for the OS it came with, is that true?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Not that likely really.
Mac OS runs overnight maintenance, but you can use something like MacJanitor to do the same checks.
Other than that it's not really necessary to do anything else.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks, so would it interfere with my performance if I upgrade to 10.6? Or should i even go to the trouble?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
No it won't and 10.6 automatically installs as 'archive and install" Meaning you get a nice speedy performance anyway. Any apps that won't work get quarantined.
Snow Leopard is definitely worth it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.