Circa 2007 Mac Desktop

Reaction score
I have the 20 inch A1224. I'm told the graphics card is shot, and the part is unavailable because the computer is obsolete. I'd hate to just toss the unit. If there is no soldering involved, I'd try the repair myself. But I don't want to do all that work with a used part. Any ideas.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
On some iMac's the graphics hardware is soldered onto the logic board...and not really replaceable. On other iMac's the graphics hardware is on a replaceable card. If it's the latter situation...then in theory...the graphics hardware can be replaced. Problem is (many times)...the replacement graphics card is very very expensive (even used). So much so that it makes the repair not financially sound.

Check eBay...and see what you find. If you're lucky...maybe you can find something cheap. Of course you should know that a 2007 iMac is pretty ancient in a 2016 computing world. Even at it's best...it's a slow poke.;)

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
Reaction score
On some iMac's the graphics hardware is soldered onto the logic board...and not really replaceable. On other iMac's the graphics hardware is on a replaceable card. If it's the latter situation...then in theory...the graphics hardware can be replaced. Problem is (many times)...the replacement graphics card is very very expensive (even used). So much so that it makes the repair not financially sound.

Check eBay...and see what you find. If you're lucky...maybe you can find something cheap. Of course you should know that a 2007 iMac is pretty ancient in a 2016 computing world. Even at it's best...it's a slow poke.;)

Good luck,

- Nick

Thanks, Nick.

It such a beautiful looking chassis (it looks like it came out of the box yesterday). I wish I could gut and replace. Alas, it appears the trash bin is calling.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you like it that much...give the repair a try. Repairs don't ALWAYS need to make financial or logical sense. Just wanted you to know the facts before sinking any time or money into it.

If still willing...open it up & see if it has a replaceable graphics card. If so...check eBay for a replacement. If not...then it would take a replacement logic board to get things working (which of course suffers from the exact same financial logic). A replacement logic board is expensive (even used).

Ya never know. You may find a great deal on eBay.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.