Charging iPhone using USB-C connection

Reaction score
Is it possible to charge my iPhone7, without causing damage to it, using an Apple cable with a lightening connector on one end, for the iPhone, and a USB-C (thunderbolt) connector on the other end, to plug into my iMac, for charging?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Which model/year iMac? I don't think it should matter, because both the iMac and the iPhone should have smart power/charge capabilities.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, Louiss97 and thank you for your post.

The answer is yes, probably.

Have a read at these Apple & other articles on this:

About the Apple USB-C to Lightning Cable – Apple Support
What's the difference between USB-C and Thunderbolt? | iMore (do read this)
About the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) Cable – Apple Support

A quote from the second reference may help: "You can plug a USB-C device and cable into a Thunderbolt 3 port whenever you want because Thunderbolt 3 fully supports USB-C."

So I think it should be okay.

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Of course, that should be completely fine. Thunderbolt is capable of providing significantly more power than what USB can provide, but that doesn't mean it can't throttle back down what the end device needs.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Good to have that confirmed, Ashwin. Thanks.

Ian

OP
L
Reaction score
Is it possible to charge my iPhone7, without causing damage to it, using an Apple cable with a sonnerie telephone lightening connector on one end, for the iPhone, and a USB-C (thunderbolt) connector on the other end, to plug into my iMac, for charging?

Achievable with an adapter. I've always assumed joining USB cables (ie. what you're suggesting) wasn't encouraged

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Achievable with an adapter. I've always assumed joining USB cables (ie. what you're suggesting) wasn't encouraged

You are posting to a Thread that is just over 2 years old since the last post. I guess things are sorted by now.

And "joining" doesn't come into it. It's one cable with a Lightening connector at one end and a Thunderbolt connector on the other - which is okay :)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You are posting to a Thread that is just over 2 years old since the last post. I guess things are sorted by now.

And "joining" doesn't come into it. It's one cable with a Lightening connector at one end and a Thunderbolt connector on the other - which is okay :)

Ian

That was actually the OP replying... to himself. Which is... weird?

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good heavens, so it was. How strange.

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP learned something in the subsequent 2 years...able to answer their own question!;)

Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.