Charging an iPhone from the ports on my iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac High Sierra Mac OS 10.13.6
Hi all,
I have an older iMac with USB 2.0 ports. I want to buy an iPhone 11 that seems to come bundled with a lighting cable using USB-C. Will I be able to charge up a new iPhone 11 from my iMac? The salesperson at the cell phone place tried to sell me a charger (kind of expensive) but after a bit of reading, it seems this charger is for a fast charge-up and it also seems that the iPhone 11 (still) supports the older 5 watt chargers that I already have (but it takes longer). Is that true? Sometimes, it's hard to get the straight info when a sale is pending (and the person is on a sales commission).
Thanks in adv for the info,
Bob M.

P.S. I have an iMac 10,1 - late 2009

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Few options:
* Purchase a USB Type-A to USB-C converter
* Purchase a USB Type-A to Lightening cable
* Purchase a Wireless charger

Free option:
* Use the likely included power-plug and plug it into the proper mains and charge that way

There is absolutely no reason to "manage" your iPhone on the iMac unless you wish to specifically sync stuff from it. I would recommend you use iCloud for backups.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I want to buy an iPhone 11 that seems to come bundled with a lighting cable using USB-C.

Not true. The iPhone 11 comes bundled with an Apple standard lightning to USB A cable. That cable can be used with either a USB 2 or 3 port on a Mac. However, it's best as Ashwin advised to use a separate charger.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not true. The iPhone 11 comes bundled with an Apple standard lightning to USB A cable. That cable can be used with either a USB 2 or 3 port on a Mac. However, it's best as Ashwin advised to use a separate charger.

So I did some reading and then went out and bought the iPhone 11. It comes only with a cable, on one end it has the usual connector that goes into the iPhone (fits both of my phones) and also fits my rechargeable Apple keyboard. But on the other end, rather than that usual USB connector (that goes into my iMac and the various charger/adapters I have), it has a much smaller connector that mates with the Apple 20 watt charger (for fast charging) that my girlfriend who was with me, bought for me and she said, "You'll need this".

Now, today, I did hook up my new iPhone 11 to my iMac using a standard lightening cable (I have several of these) and that also seems to also work fine and my new iPhone 11 shows the charging icon. So, I guess I can now charge the phone fast or slow. I think I read somewhere when setting up this new iPhone 11 that the phone prefers to be charged only to about 80%, what's that about?

Lots to learn,
Bob M.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple may have updated and changed the cable supplied with an iPhone 11. I purchased an iPhone 11 (Red) for my wife and it came with a standard lightning to USB A cable which plugs into any USB port on a Mac.

Newer iPhones are indeed supplied with a lightning to USB C cable which plugs into a TB 3/USB C port on your Mac. (if your Mac has TB 3/USB C ports) My iMac has two such ports.

Apple is no longer including a charger in the box. Newer chargers being sold by Amazon and others have both USB A and USB C connections.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I think I read somewhere when setting up this new iPhone 11 that the phone prefers to be charged only to about 80%, what's that about?
There is an urban myth that charging all the way to 100% and leaving it on charge there shortens battery life. Technically, that's true, but the amount of life lost over the lifetime of the phone is miniscule. The 80% come from the recommendations that if you have to leave the phone in storage for a long time, powered off, charge the battery to about 80% before you do so. The battery in a iPhone "likes" to be stored at between 60 and 80%. If you start at 80% there will be very slow leakage over time down, so starting at 80% will keep it from reaching below 60% for a very, very long time (Note: With the phone completely powered off.).

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is an urban myth that charging all the way to 100% and leaving it on charge there shortens battery life. Technically, that's true, but the amount of life lost over the lifetime of the phone is miniscule. The 80% come from the recommendations that if you have to leave the phone in storage for a long time, powered off, charge the battery to about 80% before you do so. The battery in a iPhone "likes" to be stored at between 60 and 80%. If you start at 80% there will be very slow leakage over time down, so starting at 80% will keep it from reaching below 60% for a very, very long time (Note: With the phone completely powered off.).

Thanks for these tips!
Bob M.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.