Changed Some Firewall Settings

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M2 Pro, iPad Mini 6, Apple Pencil
I just changed some firewall settings on my Mac mini. Enabled "Block all incoming connections". and "enable stealth mode."

My goal is for extra protection from hacks. Take a look at my screenshot. Does everything look okay, have I set anything wrong? Should I make any changes? I want to feel good about the changes which I made.

I am at home behind a router. No wifi on this one I am wired.

Wall-Screenshot-01.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
My goal is for extra protection from hacks.
Can I ask why? Firewalls aren't really for protection from "hacks," whatever you think they may be. And if you are on a Mac Mini, the intrusion will be at the router, not the Mini. The Apple firewall is generally not needed except for portable machines that have to use "open" networks, like at a coffee shop, or cafe. In your own home, on your own router, the firewall is redundant.

I can't comment on the settings, I don't use the macOS firewall.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Doing this on the computer is unnecessary. You can block things at the router level.

OP
elytron
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can I ask why? Firewalls aren't really for protection from "hacks," whatever you think they may be. And if you are on a Mac Mini, the intrusion will be at the router, not the Mini. The Apple firewall is generally not needed except for portable machines that have to use "open" networks, like at a coffee shop, or cafe. In your own home, on your own router, the firewall is redundant.

I can't comment on the settings, I don't use the macOS firewall.
For sure then I don't need the MacOS firewall enabled while at home? Any downside to leaving it enabled? I know that the router prevents most external intrusions. Still I would prefer to leave firewall enabled on the Mac.

Wanted you all to look over my settings, to make sure I didn't mess anything up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For sure then I don't need the MacOS firewall enabled while at home? Any downside to leaving it enabled? I know that the router prevents most external intrusions. Still I would prefer to leave firewall enabled on the Mac.

Wanted you all to look over my settings, to make sure I didn't mess anything up.
Your router most likely (99.9% probability) has a firewall to prevent anyone from getting into your home network from outside. About all the firewall on the Mini is doing is to keep anyone from trying to get into the Mini through WiFi INSIDE your home network, but to do that, they would have to get into your network in the first place, which the firewall and your network password block. So, the answer to your question is that you don't need the macOS firewall while at home. The downside is that you now have a firewall firewalling a firewall, which is wasted effort. No real harm, just totally NOT needed. And why do you prefer the firewall being enabled on a desktop machine like a Mini? It's doing nothing of any added value for you.

Reaction score
...My goal is for extra protection from hacks. ...

Are you new to the Macintosh? Security is a huge problem for Windows users. It requires only the slightest care on a Macintosh.

I've been helping Macintosh users with their Macs (via helplines, discussion fora, response to my Web sites, etc.) for over 35 years. I've been in touch with tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of Macintosh users. I've never heard from a single Macintosh user who legitmately reported that they have had their Macintosh hacked into. Not one. This depite the fact that most users never turn on their built-in firewall.

Macintosh hacking just doesn't seem to be a thing. Even at Macintosh hacking competitions, where the most tech-y people that you could find were challenged to hack into a Macintosh, usually no one could do it without being allowed physical access to the Macintosh.

Also, it's absolutely true what others are telling you. Your gateway/router has a built-in hardware firewall. Using the software firewall in the Mac OS is redundant and a waste of bandwidth.

If you are concerned about your data (e.g. if you have extremely valuable data), a good way to protect it wouid be to do frequent backups, and then keep your backup drive offline when it isn't being used to do an incremental backup. That way, no matter what happens to your Mac and the data on it, your backed up data is safe and available.

Some other suggesions if you are concerned about security:

Off the top of my head, these are the things that Macintosh users have to do with regard to security (note that, for now, I don't list a need for anti-virus software):

- Set passwords for your Mac and make them strong ones.
- Make sure to use the latest version of the Mac OS (that your Mac can run) and make sure to install all security updates.
- Know the latest social engineering threats (i.e. phishing attempts and scams).
- Don't update software anywhere but from the Web site of the developer, or from the Mac App Store.
- Have Java (*not* Javascript, which is something else) turned off in your browser. (No need to uninstall it completely. There has never been a Macintosh threat via a Java application.) (This one may be outdated. I haven't heard of a malicious Java threat to a Mac in years now.)
- Don't open e-mail file attachments from people you don't know. (Though malicious file attachments are just about always aimed at Windows users and usually are Windows executables that won't run on a Mac anyway.)
- Don't click on links to Web pages in e-mails from people you don't know (however, you can hover your cursor over such a link, and a pop-up will appear telling you where the link will really take you, and you can then decide if it looks safe). (Once again, this is more of a Windows thing....it's good to be a Mac user.)
- Turn on "Macro Virus Protection" in the Microsoft Office applications (though macro viruses are exceedingly rare these days)

OP
elytron
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Everyone, thanks for the advice. Knowledgable group here on these forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Just a few more suggestions to add to the already great advice:

1. Have a strong password on your router. I have fixed many a router for friends and accessed them using the default factory username and password. Look up the information on your router to change the Admin password - then don't loose or forget it!

Lisa

OP
elytron
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a few more suggestions to add to the already great advice:

1. Have a strong password on your router. I have fixed many a router for friends and accessed them using the default factory username and password. Look up the information on your router to change the Admin password - then don't loose or forget it!

Lisa
I set complicated unique passwords everywhere possible.

Also maintain external backups of all my important files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have used the what3words website to select passphrases like that, Randy. I pick a spot on property I own, or owned, that then becomes my clue, and the what3words locator words are my passphrase. Given that there is a unique w3w for every three meters square, if one picks something non-obvious, the three words are unlikely to be guessed, while the clue can be a good trigger to remember.

For example, if the location on a former property where you have lived is, let's say, the square that contains the bedrooom window of your own bedroom, the clue just needs to be the address of the property, or enough of it to trigger your memory and one can hope you remember that it's the bedroom window. And it doesn't have to be a property you lived in! It could, for example, be the place you got married, or your first job, or just about anything.

If the password needs symbols, the dots between words is usually enough. If upper case/numbers are needed, I just tack on W3W to the end of the passphrase. And if the dots don't work, W#W.

The website is ///clip.apples.leap and they have an app as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
What's best is an easy-to-remember passphrase of three or four words. See:
Great site. My master password will take 72 years to crack!

Edit: ....or have I just added it to a list of well known passwords:unsure:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.