Change Language on iPad

Reaction score
iPad with 17.3.1.
My main language is English (UK) but I use ChatGDP to help with my Italian.
I interact with ChatGDP in Italian.
The trouble is that I start to type a word in Italian and the iPad thinks I am writing in English. So half-way through the Italian word, the spellchecker takes over and I end up with an English word that starts like the Italian word that I had wanted to key in!
Is it possible to easily switch languages for this particular app? In fact, it could remain permanently as Italian in this app because I don't use ChatGDP for anything else.
Alternatively, if it's easy to do, I would be happy to change the entire iPad to Italian for my language practice sessions and then back to English when I have finished.
Thanks in advance .... M

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi

I've never thought about this, but this Apple Link might help you in that it tells you of a way in which you can keep two languages on an iPad and change from one to another and back again:

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
OK. Thanks Ian.
I have added an Italian keyboard and can flip between this new one and the standard British English one.
This has indeed changed the visible headings on some of the applications.
For example, in 'Notes', I now see "Note rapide" (the Italian for "quick notes")
But despite this, just above the on-screen keyboard, the words continue to pop up in English; and it's the same in ChatGDT. So if I type the Italian words "Mi piace" (I like or I enjoy), the autocorrect brings up "peace" or "place". I have to keep looking down at the screen, and hit the cross to make the iPad realise that I do, indeed, want "Mi piace" or whatever is Italian word I am typing. Guess that I need to somehow get at the auto-correct and change this from English to Italian. Not sure how to do this.

OP
M
Reaction score
And even when I have "italiano" selected as my preferred language in ChatGPD, the auto-correct still sticks resolutely to English. ....

Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
But wait a mo!
At the top right in Chat GPD, there is a language-selection box. I've selected "Italian" and now things seem to be OK.
No, no, no ... (!)
The above works on the MPB but it does not work on the iPad!
So perhaps this function is not supported on the iPad ... not for CHATGDP or or anything else (??)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
somehow get at the auto-correct and change this from English to Italian.
I believe Auto-correct has to do with the dictionary selected. Maybe there is a way to add an Italian dictionary?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.