• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Celebrating 25 years of the World Wide Web

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yeah Dennis, I had a Genie account before I had the one with CompuServe. I remember it was such a big deal back then to get on the G.E. network. I don't even remember what the membership fee was. I do seem to remember that CompuServe had several types of memberships back then. I think I was paying $7.00/month at the time.

Not sure on cost as my friend was paying for it for me to use but it was cheap compared to today. Under $10 a month I think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I remember in the Mid 90's while I was in the Military we would have this new www connection via the the only ISP in Australia. Back then we were in barrack Blocks as per Squadron/Troop and we use to move troops every year so the Army had to change over and pay for all the re-connections, that use to run in a $100+ each and every time.
I loved it, as i played Leisure Suit Larry on PC and i could go online to a Gamer Board and get a walkthrough.
Leisure Suit Larry was hard :p

The sad thing is, ill NEVER forget that connection sound in the 56k Modems :( Gives me nightmares lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
BOY - such memories; we had CompuServe for a number of years; also remember my son & I using CDNow pre-web to order compact discs - loved it but text-based ordering seems now so out dated - :)

NOW, the discussion on old modem transmit rates, i.e. Baud brought back a lot of thoughts - what did it mean vs. Bps (bits per second)? I used to read about Emile Bardot (1845-1903), quote from the beginning of his Wiki article below. He invented a 5-bit telegraphic code patented in 1874, which predated the later 8-bit (byte) ASCII code that we all know now.

SO, this coding system was based on 'signals/sec' which early in the history of modems was also 'Bps' - these two terms were pretty much the same when understanding 1200 Baud or less, but when more bits could be added per signal the terms diverged and were not equivalent (some info HERE) - BOTTOM LINE - Baud vs. Bps was OK in the old days, but I guess that Baud is no longer of much use despite the contribution of Emile - probably one of the first analog to digital transitions in history achieved so many years ago! Dave

Jean-Maurice-Émile Baudot (September 11, 1845 – March 28, 1903), French telegraph engineer and inventor of the first means of digital communication Baudot code, was one of the pioneers of telecommunications. He invented a multiplexed printing telegraph system that used his code and allowed multiple transmissions over a single line.[1] The baud unit was named after him.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I think you meant CompuServe. I had an account with them for several years back in the 80s. Man, this thread is making me feel as old as I am! Now, where did I put that bottle of Grecian Formula? ;P

Yeah that's it...CompuServe. I know I'm old....but as long as Lady Clarol is around no gray for me!

Lisa

Reaction score
Celebrate 25yrs WWW

My father in law got me started with an Atari 800/floppy drive. Then upgraded to the 1600.
Learned to program with DOS. My first time on the net was with WebTV. Then Macintosh, to
Mac mini. Now I love my iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
I must admit that, while I am more-or-less OS-agnostic & am equally happy on almost any platform, it does seem somehow more - for lack of a less hyperbolic word - appropriate to surf the web on a Mac or iDevice; given how OS X & - by extension - iOS are the "spiritual successors", so to speak, of the NeXTSTEP operating system used by Sir Tim Burners-Lee to originally create the World Wide Web.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I just dug up my old business card from 1992 - the email is in the format of [email protected] :Grimmace:

I remember almost everyone was asking me - what's that? ... oh ... and what would you use it for?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.