Card reader won't read - and in general a year later and NOT impressed with MAC

Reaction score
Card reader won't read - easy fix

Hi I have a Canon EOS.. and when i put the card reader it does not read. So I take it out and plug in the camera with the card and still nothing.

So I take out the the camera and put the card in the reader and restart then the computer won't even boot.

In general I have had more freezes, more frustration, slower launching times and over more frustration with MAC. I have tried so hard to love it but I dont.

I am sill trying to figure out also how to have high res photos and rename them and lower the res and create a new folder for them. Preview lets me adjust the originals but not keep both.

Many times when I go to attach a photo the comptuer freezes. Office org freezes the computer.

I don't want to hear that I should go back to PC I want to know why my computer does not function as it should. It is slow to launch programs, it hangs. Thuderbird is very slow to load emails. I have tried runing a fan under it but it is still not the amazing piece of equipment I thought it would be. I am considering putting on windows. sad but true.

I thought this was supposed to be the computer that let me handle graphics effortlessly. I can't even see and sort by file size and type when opening files. What an inferior piece of machinery. Pure rubish and I have yet to see the advantage of having paid double for this thing that is all form and no substance.

Failing to read the card sounds like dirty contacts in the slot. Fold up a post-it note so the sticky side is outward and it's the width of the slot, then slide it in and out a bit. Slip the non-sticky end in and out a bit as well just to clean off any residue, then try the card again. This worked for me, and for many others on Apple's own 'support community' forum. The slot could really do with a cover to keep the dust out!

C

chas_m

In addition to seconding the recommendation to add more RAM to your machine, I would also encourage you to get into the habit of *quitting* rather than just *closing* programs you're not using. A lot of people think clicking the "little red button" at the top will quit the program -- not generally so.

To specifically address the report you got back from Disk Utility: first, try the suggestion someone above offered and start up from another boot disk (the system DVDs if you have them) and run Disk Utility that way, it may be able to fix the issue.

If it doesn't, the only other fix I know will work is to buy a copy of Diskwarrior. Sadly -- it's not cheap ... it's about $100, and you could simply replace the drive for that kind of money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
After three years I guess either the problem has been fixed or she has gone to a Windows PC....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.