car phone mount

Reaction score
I am looking for a car phone mount for my iPhone 13, prefer vent mount, but I found out a lot of vent mounts are not as universal as they claimed to be.
So for those who own an iPhone 13 and a Honda Civic sedan 2020, what vent phone mount are you using?

Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I own a Honda 2020 Civic Sedan but would not use a car vent mount for my phone. Not only are most of them flimsy, but they just don't look good.

I recommend a good quality cup mount instead.

OP
insectmaniac
Reaction score
I own a Honda 2020 Civic Sedan but would not use a car vent mount for my phone. Not only are most of them flimsy, but they just don't look good.

I recommend a good quality cup mount instead.
Mind if I ask why cup mount in particular? Because other than vent mount there're a lot other types such as dashboard mount, windshield mount and etc.
Also, is this the type you're talking about?
L6uOd7Us41.png

OP
insectmaniac
Reaction score
I have to switch cars from time to time due to work, so I thought vent phone mount are more flexible, I get to take it with me as I switching cars.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Actually, vent mounts are not universal. What may fit one car does not fit another whereas a standard cup mount will fit most cup holders.

Dashboard and windshield mounts tend to also be flimsy and some of them can even block your view. If your car has "car play" (which the 2020 Honda Civic has) you want something that you can get at easily.

If you have to switch cars, that's all the more reason a good cup mount would be more desirable. But, the choice is yours....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
It's about time that cars came with a phone mount fitted. I used a vent mount in my Renault but nowhere for it - or, quite franky anything else - in my Mazda. Vents non existant; the stick on one fell off as did the suction one I tried on the satnav screen. The windscreen is too far away for me to see anything on the phone. There's no space behind the gear stick unless you put the phone sideways, and then it easily slips off into the footwell and under my feet. Ridiculous.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-16 at 18.49.49.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-16 at 18.49.49.png
    362.4 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It's about time that cars came with a phone mount fitted. I used a vent mount in my Renault but nowhere for it - or, quite franky anything else - in my Mazda. Vents non existant; the stick on one fell off as did the suction one I tried on the satnav screen. The windscreen is too far away for me to see anything on the phone. There's no space behind the gear stick unless you put the phone sideways, and then it easily slips off into the footwell and under my feet. Ridiculous.

Nah, today everything should be coming with CarPlay/Android Auto. That negates the need for a mount of any kind since your car head unit becomes the front end of your phone. I retrofitted my 2010 Ford Edge with a Pioneer head unit specifically to get CarPlay, and it is a WONDERFUL thing! I don't miss fiddling with vent or windshield mounts at all.

You guys with the Civics... are you sure yours don't have CarPlay compatibility? I know it may depend on the packages your cars came with.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You guys with the Civics... are you sure yours don't have CarPlay compatibility? I know it may depend on the packages your cars came with.
Did you read my reply? I said that the 2020 Honda Civic has car play. I don't use a cell phone mount (I have a 2020 Honda Civic) but it appears that the OP switches cars. For him/her a cup holder mount would be easier.

As for Sue.... since she is in the UK, everything would have to be mounted on the left side which seems to me would be a bit awkward for right handed folks. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you read my reply? I said that the 2020 Honda Civic has car play. I don't use a cell phone mount (I have a 2020 Honda Civic) but it appears that the OP switches cars. For him/her a cup holder mount would be easier.

I saw your first one and it wasn't mentioned in that. I also overlooked the need to move between cars. That... well a vent mount wouldn't be pleasant for transferring between cars. Besides, my post started out just responding to Sue. I wound up shoehorning in my Q about the Civics as it occurred to me. My BAD.

As for Sue.... since she is in the UK, everything would have to be mounted on the left side which seems to me would be a bit awkward for right handed folks. :)

I don't even like the idea of driving in the right-hand side of a car. I suppose it'd be less painful with an automatic, but a stick shift? Yeeesh!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Need a stable mount because I use my phone as my satnav because the Mazda one is clumsy and I have to pay a ridiculous amount for updates. Google Maps is always up to date. Otherwise I listen to music/take calls via bluetooth.

Stick shift...we call it manual. New purchases are slowly creeping up to favour automatics but I didn't even think auto when I changed mine last year. Gearboxes are so slick compared to when I learnt to drive on cars with no synchromesh (yes, I learnt to double declutch!). Maybe next time when I am too creaky to be able to change gear!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Need a stable mount because I use my phone as my satnav because the Mazda one is clumsy and I have to pay a ridiculous amount for updates. Google Maps is always up to date. Otherwise I listen to music/take calls via bluetooth.

Google Maps works with CarPlay. I actually use Waze here. Apple's Maps is still pretty awful after all these years.

Stick shift...we call it manual. New purchases are slowly creeping up to favour automatics but I didn't even think auto when I changed mine last year. Gearboxes are so slick compared to when I learnt to drive on cars with no synchromesh (yes, I learnt to double declutch!). Maybe next time when I am too creaky to be able to change gear!

LOL! Well we use both terms actually here. I learned on manual transmission and used to swear by them. Then one day, I had a rental that was an automatic and I had an "aha" moment as driving in the constant stop-and-go traffic I was living in was soooooo much more tolerable. I've had automatics since. Many cars now come with little thumb paddles on the steering wheel for shifting automatics that you use much like you would on a bicycle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
Some people have vehicles, that has no CarPlay. Like my track, where the cup holder mount isn't an option either. The went mount had been working well for me, mainly used for wireless charging and on occasions for driving direction. Yes, Apple maps...

Like most people who grew up/learned to drive used manual/stick shift in other countries than the US. I am old enough to remember, like @badshoehabit, that double-clutching had been a must. With the syncromesh type tranny, you could shift gears without the clutch. Believe it or not, it had been strange to drive a car with automatic tranny intially, missed the clutch and the stick. It took me a little while to stop looking for them...:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.