Can’t shut down laptop because devices won’t stop syncing

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2020 M1 MBP running Sonoma 14.4.1; an iPad mini 6 running 17.4.1; and an iPhone SE running 17.4.1.

I can’t shut down my laptop because “an operation is still in progress on an iOS device”. As it appears, both of my devices have been stuck in a perpetual sync for a couple of days now. What I mean is that, in both Finder and the Music app, there is a constant spinning wheel next to a device’s name.

In Finder, when I click on the device, the screen shows nothing (see 1st Pic); attempting to “eject” the device has no affect.

24.03.31 MAC 017 Pic 1.png

In Music, when I click on the device, the screen perpetually shows “Loading”, but the “Sync Settings” option remains greyed-out (see 2nd Pic). Similar to Finder, attempting to “eject” the device has no affect. Clicking on the info button next to the “Syncing” button at the bottom of Music pulls up a menu that says “Updating My iPad” but clicking on the “x” also has no effect (see 3rd Pic).

24.03.31 MAC 018 Pic 2.png

24.03.31 MAC 019 Pic 3.png

This has happened before to my iPhone. When it has happened, a fix that always worked was to turn off my iPhone, plug it directly into the laptop, and then turn it back on. I’ve tried that with both devices, but my MBP remains in a perpetual sync mode.

I’ve searched the net, and one temporary fix is to force quit the “MDCrashReport” in Activity Monitor. I’ve searched for this, but can’t find it.

So, I’m at a loss as to how to resolve this issue. I’ve also read suggestions to log out of iCloud on both devices, but thought I would seek information on here before I do.

Any idea how to resolve this?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Maybe a silly response but what is wrong with the off button.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Not silly, Jim B. One can Force Quit on any Apple product if necessary.
Maybe the OP can tell us if he/she has tried this. If the OP doesn't know how to Force Quit, we can advise how.

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Honestly Big Byte, wireless syncing has never worked well for me. I've tried it and abandoned it a number of times over the years both with Finder and iMazing.
In the end I have just settled on syncing to iCloud when the device is locked and charging, usually over night and syncing via cable maybe once a week.

The MDCrashReportTool has been an issue for some, as much with cable connection as wireless but you will only find it during a Sync and even then I usually have to search (in the search box) for it. Unless your sync via cable stalls it probably doesn't apply to you.
Here is the long, ongoing thread about it; Summary of Issues: MDCrashReportTool, Bac… - Apple Community

My advice would be to abandon wireless syncing unless it usually works for you.

OP
B
Reaction score
Honestly Big Byte, wireless syncing has never worked well for me. I've tried it and abandoned it a number of times over the years both with Finder and iMazing.
In the end I have just settled on syncing to iCloud when the device is locked and charging, usually over night and syncing via cable maybe once a week.

The MDCrashReportTool has been an issue for some, as much with cable connection as wireless but you will only find it during a Sync and even then I usually have to search (in the search box) for it. Unless your sync via cable stalls it probably doesn't apply to you.
Here is the long, ongoing thread about it; Summary of Issues: MDCrashReportTool, Bac… - Apple Community

My advice would be to abandon wireless syncing unless it usually works for you.
Admittedly, I do sometime have problems with wireless syncing, where, what usually happens is, I click on a device in Finder or Music to start a sync, but can't do it because of "the device is in operation" notification... or something like that. But, when that does happen, connecting the device to my laptop via USB "solves" the issue.

I don't know what happened this time, though. Maybe I removed my iPhone from its cradle while it was charging and took it out of range? I don't know for sure, but I'm going to be more mindful of when I remove my iPhone from its cradle and note when it happens again (and, hopefully, why).

In general, wireless syncing works pretty well for me. And, at least I know how to shut down the laptop if encounter this issue again.

Thanks.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Maybe I should try it again🤔

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.