Can't scan after upgrading to Sonoma

Reaction score
I have a 2020 M1 MBP laptop, and a Canon ImageClass MF451dw printer/scanner/copier.

I upgraded to Sonoma a couple of days ago.

Today, I went to scan a document, and received the error shown in the attached pic. I've restarted both the laptop and the printer, but it doesn't resolve the issue. Any idea how to fix it? Thanks.

24.01.13 MAC 016 Scan Error.png

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Does the printer still print?
Is it a wireless connection?
Have you checked the Canon site for updated drivers?
I also not this page from Apple: Canon Printer Drivers v3.4 for macOS

OP
B
Reaction score
Does the printer still print?
Is it a wireless connection?
Have you checked the Canon site for updated drivers?
I also not this page from Apple: Canon Printer Drivers v3.4 for macOS
Yes, it's a wireless connection, and it still prints. I took a look at the Canon site, but I can't find an updated driver. The driver you linked to is almost 7 years old, so I'm not sure it'll be compatible with Sonoma.

Two days into Sonoma, and I regret having upgraded. This is not the only problem I've encountered with it. I like Apple products, but I'm tired of upgrades removing features and not being reliable. I went with Apple for the ease of use; if I wanted hassles like this, I would have stuck with a PC.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Apologies, I was on my iPhone at the time I replied. Yes, that link is way outdated but the principal is the same. You would have exactly the same issues with a PC. When one device is upgraded third party peripherals need to be upgraded/updated to match.
Canon is pretty good really compared to some, when visiting the site ferrarr attached and entering my macOS I see a range of drivers and utilities for my MBP running Sonoma. If only Brother and HP were as good.

OP
B
Reaction score
Did you download the latest drivers (for Sonoma) from Canon?

Just wanted to say that worked. Everything is fine now. Thanks for your help.

Apologies, I was on my iPhone at the time I replied. Yes, that link is way outdated but the principal is the same. You would have exactly the same issues with a PC. When one device is upgraded third party peripherals need to be upgraded/updated to match.
Canon is pretty good really compared to some, when visiting the site ferrarr attached and entering my macOS I see a range of drivers and utilities for my MBP running Sonoma. If only Brother and HP were as good.
I can understand the need to upgrade peripherals to match OS updates. What bothers me is how difficult it can be for me to find the upgrades. If my MBP can "detect" my printer, why can't it just link me to the correct page instead of having to search aimlessly? That's what I don't get.

Anyway, like I said, it's all good now, but I imagine I'd be pulling my hair out if it weren't for forums such as these and the people on it.

Thanks, again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What bothers me is how difficult it can be for me to find the upgrades.
The app for the printer, should have a setting for it to get updates automatically.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.