Can't print from Safari with my Epson using Mac

OP
G
Reaction score
I have wifi connection, just can't print from internet. Can print wireless otherwise. Have troubleshooted that. even with usb plugged in, still no printing from internet, just essentially blank page. The preview looks perfectly fine as if it should print, but it just doesn't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
With such a strange situation I read from these posts, I'd suggest hitting the Reset Printing button, shutdown everything associated with the setup, and then turn on everything and start over to setup and use the printer.

I also don't understand when the OP says:
"I have wifi connection, just can't print from internet. Can print wireless otherwise."

That doesn't make sense if the pdf file won't print. And whist exactly does "can't print from internet" actually mean??

Neither have I seen any reply to some of the above previous replies to the problem.

PS: Does the printer do anything when any print command is sent, like paper move etc.? And if so, is the printer just out of ink so "nothing prints"???

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I also don't understand when the OP says:
"I have wifi connection, just can't print from internet. Can print wireless otherwise."

I took that to mean she can't print out a web page. She went on to further say that she can see a preview of what she wants to print but the printer only prints blanks. See reply number 22.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, and I did read that but did make sense, including the pdf not printing unless the printer was out of ink or some special "do not save or print" web page.

I doubt that this would help:
Safari for Mac: Print webpages from Safari
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21472?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

so maybe try some of these…???:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=Q-suWdfdJOLs8wesxoKICQ

BTW: Is the non-printing browser page problem only with one specific page or are ALL webpages also affected? Even from apple.com etc????

EDIT:
Just a long shot thought, but just wondering if it's possible that there's some browser extension installed that can prevent printing any webpage???

I can't imaging who or why one would even create such a thing but my brain has given up with any other possibility!!! Strange. And I wonder if the OP will be posting back as some questions still haven't been answered or else I missed them which is possible.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
G
Reaction score
OK, and I did read that but did make sense, including the pdf not printing unless the printer was out of ink or some special "do not save or print" web page.

I doubt that this would help:
Safari for Mac: Print webpages from Safari
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21472?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

so maybe try some of these…???:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=Q-suWdfdJOLs8wesxoKICQ

BTW: Is the non-printing browser page problem only with one specific page or are ALL webpages also affected? Even from apple.com etc????

EDIT:
Just a long shot thought, but just wondering if it's possible that there's some browser extension installed that can prevent printing any webpage???

I can't imaging who or why one would even create such a thing but my brain has given up with any other possibility!!! Strange. And I wonder if the OP will be posting back as some questions still haven't been answered or else I missed them which is possible.

- Patrick
======

The problem is FIXED! You will never guess what fixed it! The biggest dilemma was that I COULD print documents perfectly fine, I COULD print emails perfectly fine, BUT just COULD NOT print anything while online, i.e. insurance cards or Amazon receipts. I noticed that when I was trying to print something online, anything in color would print out for some reason, like an email address or a few select things. If I chose Black and white, then nothing would print out on the page. But remember, I could print documents or emails just fine and they used black ink. I could also make copies on this printer just fine. I checked my ink levels and they were fine, but I changed the black ink cartridge anyway. That was evidently the problem, because now everything is fine. I can print out everything online just fine now that I have changed the black ink cartridge that was not even low in the first place.
I still don't understand why I was able to print out everything else offline with black ink just fine this entire time.
Hope this was just a freak incident, as the black ink level was not even half way used up on the old cartridge!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sometimes it's the simple things that we overlook. I use refillable ink cartridges all the time and have never run into a problem with a bad cartridge but I guess it can happen. Anyway, glad you posted back and let us know. Have fun. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I should have thought of that. I had something similar happen before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I checked my ink levels and they were fine, but I changed the black ink cartridge anyway. That was evidently the problem, because now everything is fine. I can print out everything online just fine now that I have changed the black ink cartridge that was not even low in the first place.

Too bad you didn't try Harry's suggestion in his #17 post and the problem would have been fixed several days ago… :[

Go into tools and clean the nozzles and try bthen to print a test page.

And I also alluded to in my #25 post:
including the pdf not printing unless the printer was out of ink

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Epson printing utility does have a cleaning cycle along with some test cycles. Not sure if every Epson has that but mine does. However, I don't think your or Harry's solution was obvious since she was able to print normally other than from her browser. That would have had me scratching my head also. ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The Epson printing utility does have a cleaning cycle along with some test cycles. Not sure if every Epson has that but mine does. However, I don't think your or Harry's solution was obvious since she was able to print normally other than from her browser. That would have had me scratching my head also. ;)
I have not used Epson printers for some time (more than a decade) but they had such a utility even then. We stopped using Epson when they created a series of cartridges that seemed to be overly prone to clogging. It got to the point where the clogging got so bad you'd either waste half a cartridge or it didn't help at all.

When I had that problem it affected everything not just Internet printing. That's why I didn't think of it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I had that problem it affected everything not just Internet printing. That's why I didn't think of it

I'm just wondering if the OP's Epson printer uses two different black cartridges as does our Canon. One for normal print apparently and the other used for photo type images. And maybe the Epson thought and treated the web pages as photo type graphics???

Just a wild guess and a possible reason…

BTW: I still would have thought that running the print test and/or cleaning would have shown up the problem.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW: I still would have thought that running the print test and/or cleaning would have shown up the problem.

Maybe. It depends on the print test. The Epson print test does do a fairly comprehensive workup and the cleaning cycle seems to do a good job. I use refillable cartridges with my Epson and have only run into one bad black cartridge over the years I have been using it. My Epson was a free printer special from Apple some years ago when I purchased a 2011 21.5" iMac. It still runs good. But my workhorse printer is my old HP LJ 1012. It's not wireless but it still does a fantastic job. I use refillable toner cartridges with that also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But my workhorse printer is my old HP LJ 1012. It's not wireless but it still does a fantastic job.

I'll bet you could turn it into a wireless printer if you wanted if you could have a Mac dedicated as a print server and using HandyPrint. I've used the preference pane version with out old HP 4ML Laserjet, but I think the later version is now an application and possibly commercial as well. It worked very well.

Yup, it's still going it seems:
http://www.netputing.com/handyprint/

EDIT:
And a later update it seems:
http://www.netputing.com/applications/handyprint-v5/

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
G
Reaction score

Too bad you didn't try Harry's suggestion in his #17 post and the problem would have been fixed several days ago… :[

And I also alluded to in my #25 post:

- Patrick
======

except the printer wasn't out of ink and it printed a test page just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
except the printer wasn't out of ink and it printed a test page just fine.

Really…??? Funny, I got a completely different understanding from what you posted in your #26 post:
I checked my ink levels and they were fine, but I changed the black ink cartridge anyway. That was evidently the problem, because now everything is fine. I can print out everything online just fine now that I have changed the black ink cartridge that was not even low in the first place.

Anyway, I'm glad it's all working and printing properly for you now. And good thing to know to not trust any ink level indicator or even ones sight I gather.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
I mistakenly removed my Epson printer from the printing list. Now, it won't add it back. the Default printer is the "last printer used" and using the + button, I cannot add the printer. What can I do?
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.