Can't print from Safari with my Epson using Mac

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro and recently I became unable to print anything in Safari for some reason. I can print everything else.
I have deleted and re added the printer, I have uninstalled and re installed the printer software, I have made sure drivers are updated. All is good except no printing in Safari. I don't want to use anything other than Safari. What could I be missing? My printer is Epson WF 2540, an all in one, nothing fancy. If I can't solve this, I'm thinking of getting another printer. Any suggestions?
Thank you.
Cassandra

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What are you trying to print from Safari? Can you give us an example? If your printer works OK printing from other applications, then there is noting wrong with the printer or the printer driver software.

Which MacBook Pro do you have? Year and model? And what version of OS X are you running? Also, click on the Safari menu and select "about Safari" and tell us which version of Safari you're using.

OP
G
Reaction score
What are you trying to print from Safari? Can you give us an example? If your printer works OK printing from other applications, then there is noting wrong with the printer or the printer driver software.

Which MacBook Pro do you have? Year and model? And what version of OS X are you running? Also, click on the Safari menu and select "about Safari" and tell us which version of Safari you're using.

I have MacOS Sierra v 10.12.5 on a Macbook Pro late 2011. Safari v 10.1.1.
For example, I've tried to print my car insurance cards out from the Allstate site. I've tried to print a receipt for products purchased on Amazon. These are actions that I've been able to perform in the recent past. I've tried printing other things like files, documents, etc and I can do it, but if it is something online, it doesn't work. Instead, I get a page that prints out only a few words - the words that are in color. Any words in black and white (which are most words) are omitted. If I choose to print in b/w only, then I get a totally blank page.
Still troubleshooting...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Go to Safari Preferences, Advanced, and put a check in the box that says "Show Develop Menu in menu bar".

Restart Safari.

Next, click on the Develop menu and select "Empty Caches". Restart Safari again. See if that helps.

Note that most things like ID insurance cards are printed as PDF. Make sure you have Preview setup as the default app for PDF.

OP
G
Reaction score
I followed those instructions and unfortunately get the same result. Do you think this is a Safari problem and not a printer problem? This was not a problem until a couple of weeks ago and I don't know what changed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Try another browser (maybe Firefox) and see if you have the same problem. If not, then it's Safari.

OP
G
Reaction score
Try another browser (maybe Firefox) and see if you have the same problem. If not, then it's Safari.

I downloaded Google Chrome and tried it and I have the same problem so at least it's not Safari. My only guess is that it has something to do with the printer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Has anything changed in your Printer settings? When you select something to print, for example your Allstate insurance ID cards, does the card show up in a dialog box? In other words, it should give you a view of what is to be printed before selecting the print command? Also, what are you selecting to print as? Web page? Text? PDF? I too have an Epson printer (NX 420) and have no difficulty printing from Safari or Chrome.

OP
G
Reaction score
When I select something to print, it shows up fine in the dialog box but just doesn't print out fine. I select to print as pdf. I've switched that around to see if there is any improvement and there is not. Not sure what is left to do since I've already uninstalled and re instalalled and there are no driver updates available. I thought it may have something to do with relationship between Mac/Safari with printer but now I am beginning to think it is just printer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Try this: do screenshots (Cmd+Shift+3 for full screen, +4 if you select part of screen), drag into Photos and try printing from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M2 16GB Memory Apple M2 Chip, Somona
Same with me, Printer won't work if you re using Wifi 5000 MHz so I have to switch to guest log in and thats 2500 MHz... works perfect. Try that

Reaction score
Try adding printer

Have you looked and seen if your printer was listed under "System Prefernces>Printers? If not, select the add printer and then add it. Hope thats it

OP
G
Reaction score
Have you looked and seen if your printer was listed under "System Prefernces>Printers? If not, select the add printer and then add it. Hope thats it

Yes printer is listed. Won't print anything online but will print everything else otherwise.

OP
G
Reaction score
Uninstalled and reloaded updated versions of everything Epson for my printer. Still doesn't work. Still troubleshooting though. Went though the Epson Software Updater to make sure that everything was updated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go into tools and clean the nozzles and try bthen to print a test page.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I switched to guest log in and tried to print online and still have same problem.

Can you confirm for sure that your printer is working from WiFi at all? I'm beginning to think that your printer has lost its WiFi connection which is why it won't print anything from on line. Plug a USB cable from your printer into your MacBook Pro, select it from the print dialogue and see if it prints that way. Your Epson is actually two printers in one... WiFi and USB. Use the USB connection to see if it prints.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
With a non-printing browser or whatever page, maybe try "printing", but instead use the "Save as PDF" option in the print window, and when the PDF has been saved, will it print when you open it and print it? Preview.app should work for the created pdf file.

- Patrick
======

OP
G
Reaction score
With a non-printing browser or whatever page, maybe try "printing", but instead use the "Save as PDF" option in the print window, and when the PDF has been saved, will it print when you open it and print it? Preview.app should work for the created pdf file.

- Patrick
======

I've tried "save as pdf" and then tried to print that way but it doesn't work either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.