Can't log into my Macbook Pro

Reaction score
I have an old macbook pro. It's been sitting for a while. I charged it up today to let my daughter use it and I can't log in. I don't even get the option to put in a password. I get to the log in screen and I can't click on anything. I tried the command-r but once it opens again I can't click on any thing. I can use the arrows but they just go round and round. Any help to get into the machine would be deeply appreciated. Blessings, quinlis

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Hold "shift" down and try to boot into Safe mode. If it starts up and you get the login screen, you can restart your MBP and try to login in regular mode.

OP
Q
Reaction score
Hold "shift" down and try to boot into Safe mode. If it starts up and you get the login screen, you can restart your MBP and try to login in regular mode.

Thanks so much for replying!!! So power off then start again and instead of holding the command r hold the shift instead? Am I understanding correctly?

OP
Q
Reaction score
I am in safe mode now but I still can't click on anything. My user icon shows up but no place to put in a password. Can't click on sleep, restart, or shut down.

OP
Q
Reaction score
Sorry to clutter your inbox...I was able to get in!!! I used the arrow keys to get the password box. So I'm in. I'm going to shut down and reopen and hopefully all will be well. Thanks for the help!

OP
Q
Reaction score
Thanks to Ferrarr and Rod Sprague....I have followed both of your suggestions and still nothing. It appears to be only the mouse not working?? I don't know. I can arrow key to get in but I can't use the mouse at all. Any other suggestions??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
OP
Q
Reaction score
You know, I don't know exactly. I haven't used it in a while now. I bought it in 2009 I believe and I remember upgrading it at least to Snow Leopard if not beyond. Pretty sure I had my new MBP by the time El Capitian came out. I will try the NVRAM now. THANK YOU for your awesome help!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe remove the ram and reinstall the ram?

Well, you may need to find your Snow Leopard disc, or the discs that came with the MBP.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Maybe I missed it but what kind of mouse are you using? If you are using a wireless mouse try a regular (wired usb) mouse and see what happens. It doesn't have to be an Apple mouse. Any old mouse should do.

OP
Q
Reaction score
I will go look for my discs but my internal diskdrive does not work. I do have an external. I don't have snow leopard because i remember I upgraded through the app store. How do I remove the ram and reinstall?? I would have to open up the hard drive from the bottom huh?

OP
Q
Reaction score
Well I am using the mouse pad that is on the macbook. I boot up but can't log in without using the arrow keys and once logged in I can't click on any thing or use the arrows.....

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try attaching a USB mouse and see if that helps. If you can navigate and click with that mouse attached check the trackpad settings and make sure they are OK.

I wonder if the battery hasn't started to swell causing the trackpad not to click properly. If your model as an easily accessible battery check to see if there is any kind of bulge on the battery.

Last edited:
OP
Q
Reaction score
Great idea. I will see if I can borrow one but won't I have to set it up? No ability to do that. I have an internal battery and it feels the same as always. My husband's MacBook external battery swelled so I know what that looks like. Thanks for the help!!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if it is a wired (USB) mouse there shouldn't be a need to do any setup for basic operation. It should be recognized as at least a basic mouse with basic click functionality working.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well I am using the mouse pad that is on the macbook. I boot up but can't log in without using the arrow keys and once logged in I can't click on any thing or use the arrows.....

OK, that tells us something. Try using a mouse. I thought you already were but what you are referring to is called the Trackpad. Any old mouse (that you know is working) will do. The trackpad can be faulty for a few reasons but the most common cause of problems is a swelling battery (can happen at the end of it's lifespan) which prevents the trackpad from being depressed fully thus preventing you from clicking on an object.

OP
Q
Reaction score
Okay, I was able to borrow a mouse today and indeed I can click around with it. What should I do now to try and fix the trackpad?? THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for the help!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.