Can’t log in - strange charachters when using keyboard

Reaction score
Hello,

I was working on my macbook pro and out of nowhere when I started typing the charachter were no longer normal ‘english’ charachters but strange charachters including greek ones. I thought that restarting would reset these strange settings but it didn’t but now I made it worse because I can’t log in anymore. When I try to type in my username and password the weird / greek charachters appear.

When I log into the guest account I can see my language settings are strangely enough still on english, and my keyboard settings are normal as well.

I have a new macbook pro with the touchbar and I have High Sierra installed.

I really hope someone can help me, I’m feeling really desperate since I need my laptop for school.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I really hope someone can help me, I’m feeling really desperate since I need my laptop for school.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Try booting up using Safe Boot Bode and see if you can get things working.

To do so, startup and press and hold the shift key until you see the grey spinning gear. Then you can let go pressing the shift key, and the select your username and login.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure you have not accidentally chosen an alternate keyboard. We have seen strange things happen with the MacBook Pro TouchBar machines. Safe mode as Patrick suggested should sort that out fairly quick though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thank you soooo much it worked! I am so grateful!

Good to hear and thanks for your feedback. It's welcomed and appreciated.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.