Can't Edit in iTunes?

OP
M
Reaction score
Hey since you're helping me with all this, maybe you could help me with another thing, since im new to OSX

is there a way for icons to be auto-arranged (as they can be in windows) thus the icons will be in order if one is deleted, or when a window is resized, they icons will fill the window accordingly instead of being all bunched together as when the window is smaller?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
.dmg.gz is just a software package extension, i guess. nothing big.

After downloading the package, it should already have Finder open to the Media Rage app folder. If not, look on your desktop. Once you have located the Media Rage 3.4.2 folder, click on the Media Rage icon (the dude with the head lamp on his helmet and the orange glasses) and another window will pop up, asking if you want to take a guided tour or just start working.

Oh and can you clarify the question about the icons?

OP
M
Reaction score
.dmg.gz is just a software package extension, i guess. nothing big.

After downloading the package, it should already have Finder open to the Media Rage app folder. If not, look on your desktop. Once you have located the Media Rage 3.4.2 folder, click on the Media Rage icon (the dude with the head lamp on his helmet and the orange glasses) and another window will pop up, asking if you want to take a guided tour or just start working.

Oh and can you clarify the question about the icons?

Let's say a window is smaller and all the icons are arranged to fit the windows - say 3 on the top and 3 on the bottom, but then lets say you enlarge the window to fit the screen, yet the icons still stay as in the smaller window 3 on top 3 on bottom

is there a way to, make it, so if you enlarge the window to fit the screen rather then the icons staying in 3 by 3, all 6 icons to go to the top row and line up across to fit the window? And then if you shrink the window again they automatically go into their original 3 by 3 formation?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Okay I see now. Honestly, I just noticed how it does that :p

You know I think that's just how it is, since I can't find anything in the prefs about it.

OP
M
Reaction score
now all i gotta figure out is this crazy itunes problem... i would think apple would be on top of it, they are with everything else

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I was a recent windows user. I'm still getting used to the Mac OS, but I'm learning my way as I go, and learn some things when on here. It will take some time, I'm sure ;)

OP
M
Reaction score
Indeed it will - i had a CRAZY issue with my external hard drive that i finally figured out after a few days (turned out to be the cable... which for some reason, now works ?!?)

Again, thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
now all i gotta figure out is this crazy itunes problem... i would think apple would be on top of it, they are with everything else

Well, since I can't be much help anymore, I think someone who is a lot more experienced than me could help you out more. I would wait later today for people to sign on, like after lunch time or something, then ask for help. There are lots of people on here that know more than me ;)

(and no problem on helping :))

OP
M
Reaction score
For sure, maybe some people will check this thread about and add their advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
=P me too. gotta get up in 5 hours

Dont worry too much, It's got to be fixable. Tomorrow, ill start looking for some free software that's like Media Rage.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
I presume what you are saying is that when you edit the playlist information in iTunes it is not written to the mp3 tags in the files.

If so then yes you are right iTunes does not edit the original mp3 files when you update the playlist information.

If you want an mp3 tag editing application you'll have to go find one.

Amen-Moses

OP
M
Reaction score
Apple should really fix this issue in iTunes imo - surprised Apple hasn't been on top of it already, they are with everything else

Reaction score
I'm going to make a few assumptions as to what's going on here - so let me recap what I've heard so far.

1. You have drag and dropped some mp3s from Windows CD to your Mac.
2. You brought the files into iTunes via "Add to Library" (or by couble clicking teh song.. either way the behaviour of iTunes will be the same).
3. You edited the track information in iTunes.
4. You went back to where you dragged the mp3 files from the CD and noticed the changes you made in iTunes did not affect the mp3s.

** I'm assumig you did not check to see if you were editing files in the default "iTunes Library" folder. Here's what I mean:

When you "Add to Library" on a Mac - it behaves differently than adding files on a PC. This is where I think your problem is.

On a Mac, when you "Add to Library" - it makes a COPY of the original mp3 you dragged in the same place on every Mac by default. By default - Macs will store the music that you "Add to Library" at root/username/music/itunes library/artist (it might be /music/itunes/itunes library - but you get the idea). When youi EDIT anything in iTunes - its going to edit the COPIED versions of the songs stored in the default iTunes library - NOT the mp3s stored where you drag and dropped them onto your hard-drive from the CDs.

It isn't merely linking itunes to the location on your hard-drive - as it does by default on PCs. You can set iTunes to behave this way on a Mac - but by default - it will make full copies in your default iTunes library in addition to the mp3s that you stored via drag and dropping from the cd.

This may seem really inconvenient but its VERY handy for importaing/adding, editing etc without compromising your original mp3 or source audio tags/files.

Chances are you have mp3's in both locations and you've been editing the files/tags in the iTunes library and not where you placed them on the Mac hard-drive.

You can alter what folder tree iTunes uses as its "iTunes Library" but I'd recommend just letting iTunes do its thing and keep the library where it is and use THAT as your music directory rather than a place you've simply drag and dropped files.

I hope this makes sense?

Reaction score
Editing MP3 - Shorten intros/fade in/out

Am am new to the mac world. We went from years of PC using ROxio track editing to no ability to at all now. We like to take our music for fitness training and sometimes shorten the lengths and fade in/out at the beginnings or ends.

Roxio was really for my skill set. Not for producing NEW music or Looping or stuff like that just simple editing.

Anyone recommend a product I can use on my iMAC. We have about 2000 songs that we xfered from our PC to the iMac and want to sart editing and burning.

Help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Garageband is free and comes with all Macs and can edit tracks. Audacity is also very good & free.

Once you've edited in one of those programs you can then jump back to iTunes and burn them there.

If you want a more "all-in-one" approach, I believe Roxio's Toast Pro for Mac can do some simple audio editing and burn audio CDs, but I find it terribly overpriced to be honest.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.