• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Can't decide, Alienware M11x or Macbook Air. ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP 16gb ram, 2.3 i7, 500 gb hd, 750 gb hd
Due to my experience with the lack of Alienware support and the repeated hardware issues with my m17x, I could not possibly recommend it. I am currently in negotiation with Dell's unresolved issue team to try and get them to replace the computer as it has spent more time waiting on a tech due to mechanical failure than it has actually operating...and operating badly at that.

I will never, ever buy Dell again. I have several, too, but the way they have treated me and other Alienware customers with the same issues on the m17x makes me say just don't do it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just as an aside, I'm curious why you both used Celsius instead of Fahrenheit. You both appear to be residents of the US. Just a fan of the other way or what?

Celsius is the default used throughout the overclocking community. Has been since the early to mid '90s. No one that has spent time in the O/C'g communities would use Fahrenheit related to the temps on their computer. It's just not done. Haven't been involved there for awhile, but it use to be considered an impropriety to use F and cause those attempting to help you have to convert it.

Temps were fairly important there. All the way from the 80- 100 Mhz chips we were running at 150 Mhz or 2.6+ Ghz P4 chips and pushing those to 4 Ghz and a corresponding increase in RAM speeds.

To get those overclocks we were doing things that could include "lapping" the CPU heatsink (literally sanding to close the pores for better heat transference - I managed a 5C drop on my last O/C'd rig just from lapping) all the way to increasing the voltage.

Pretty much all the stuff we did increased the temps on everything from the CPU, RAM, GPU to the Northbridge and watching those temps, paying for better coolers, setting fan speeds, etc.; all played a part of successful overclocking to the extreme. And making sure your parts would make it the 6-12 months until you were back to building a newer faster rig in the days of everything doubling in speed in that space of time.

Imho: All this temperature monitoring by the average joe, not doing any overclocking, running their rig at stock speeds is just so much hullabaloo and I wish they'd get over it.

I spent about 15 years in the O/C'g communities and I've lost count as to how many folks I've helped make a computer purchase decision. I have never even made the suggestion to someone buying an off-the-shelf computer, or those building a system and running it at stock speeds to even look at their temps, much less monitor them. This might be a troubleshooting item, but it's not a maintenance item on computers being run at stock speeds. (Yeah, I know there are some that will disagree.)

My advice to this individual, use the computer for what you want to use it and forget you've ever heard anything about temps - especially those moving from a desktop to a notebook. The two can't even be compared.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.