Canon TS8351 on windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
Hi I am 88 years old and cannot get my head round Apple Air Print, much too involved.My iMac runs Monterey 12.4 and my Canon TS8351 printer has been demoted to an expensive 'Paper Weight'. If I put some form of Windows OS on my computer will I be able to use my printer in cable connection again? I am informed the last OS X from apple to be capable of this was High Sierra, true or not?

Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Keith

• Canon TS8351 is listed as being AirPrint compatible with OS Monterey.
It's listed here if you have the boring time to scroll down the endless lists!!

"if the printer you're checking for AirPrint is available in the Printer dropdown menu without you installing any drivers, AirPrint is working! "

This is taken from this article showing you how to go about it:

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello Keith. Wasn't really sure if this issue was a result of upgrading your computer to Monterey recently...or due to something else.

If it was due to upgrading to Monterey...can you tell us what sort of connection you had in the past with this Canon TS8351 printer?

A personal example. We have a 10-12 year old Brother laser printer. It is capable of WiFi printing...but being 10-12 years old...it is definitely NOT AirPrint compatible. One of our computers is running Monterey...and we can connect & print via WiFI no problem (just like we always have) with this non-AirPrint compatible printer.

If (before Monterey) you were able to print to this Canon TS8351 printer via WiFi...then you should be able to print via WiFi as well with Monterey (without any concerns regarding AirPrint). But as member IWT pointed out...this Canon TS8351 printer is AirPrint compatible...thus this is an extra added layer of compatibility.

Just trying to understand what worked for you in the past...compared to the situation now.

Nick

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, sorry but no-one seems to be answering my question. Prior to all this my iMac 21.5 inch iMac was running High Sierra and would print no trouble at all using it hard wired to each other. Then inadvertently I must have ticked 'update automatically'. New thing I open my home page after three or four hours only to find Monterey has been installed; no more printing on a hard wire connection. THE QUESTION IS -- if I download Windows Office will that solve the problem??? I ask because I have spent a long time trying to set up our printer--------------------------NO GO at all; I am too long in the tooth to understand it at all.
Regards from Keith in Derby England.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Hi, sorry but no-one seems to be answering my question. Prior to all this my iMac 21.5 inch iMac was running High Sierra and would print no trouble at all using it hard wired to each other. Then inadvertently I must have ticked 'update automatically'. New thing I open my home page after three or four hours only to find Monterey has been installed; no more printing on a hard wire connection. THE QUESTION IS -- if I download Windows Office will that solve the problem??? I ask because I have spent a long time trying to set up our printer--------------------------NO GO at all; I am too long in the tooth to understand it at all.
No, Windows Office won't be able to print if the system doesn't have the printer attached. Originally you asked about Window OS, not Office, so to address that:
If I put some form of Windows OS on my computer will I be able to use my printer in cable connection again?
There are just a few ways to run Windows. One is to completely convert your Mac to Windows, erasing the drive (and all the data) and installing a clean copy of Windows on the machine. That is like cutting off your hand because of a hangnail, but it is an option. I don't know if it will solve the printer problem or not because I don't know if the latest version of Windows has a driver for that printer.

Second way is to use BootCamp to install Windows and pick the option of Monterey or Windows at boot time. Complex and reasonably difficult to get working properly. Probably an overkill again, and it won't be guaranteed to fix the problem for the same reason I listed above.

Third way is to run Windows in a virtual system using Parallels or VMWare or similar emulation software. Again, no guarantee because of the same driver issue, plus it's not trivial to get a virtual system working properly and the virtual system will use the Mac protocols to talk to the printer so if the Mac can't see the printer, neither will Windows in a guest system.

Bottom line: It will be much easier to get printing working properly under Monterey than to use Windows.

SO, now that the question is answered, can you address some of the things Nick and Ian asked so we can help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keith, you also have been mixing AirPrint and cabled printing in your posts, which is confusing. Is the printer cabled to the Mac? If so, it should be straightforward to get it printing for you. If it's not and you want to use AirPrint, let us know and we'll find the steps to follow to make that happen.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keith. The ideas of installing Windows OS or a Windows version MS Office are way way more complicated than just getting your Canon TS8351 printer working properly within the macOS.

As I stated above...I have a 10-12 year old Brother laser printer that works super-ok via WiFi with Monterey.

If your Canon TS8351 printer supports Apple AirPlay (which I believe member IWT mentioned above)...then your Canon TS8351 printer also supports "Plain-Jane" WiFi printing.

I recently installed Monterey on my wife's MacBook Air (only about 3-4 days ago)...and while doing research for this thread (your question)...I setup WiFi printing on the wife's MacBook Air (running Monterey)...in literally 30 seconds.

You would need to do the initial setting up of your Canon TS8351 printer to connect to your WiFi network...after that it's super easy to set things up to work with your Mac.

-Nick

p.s. By the way. If your Canon TS8351 printer & iMac (previously running High Sierra) worked fine via cable. Why isn't this same cable-connection setup working with Monterey? As far as I know...it certainly should (it's only a 2-3 year old printer).

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, I have given this some serious thought and I have looked on Ebay for a cheap refurbished Windows 10 laptop below £150 and am thinking this is a reasonable way out of the problem, it saves a lot of head scratching in the long run. I am not the cleverest by the biggest stretch of the imagination. Thanks to all who took the trouble to comment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keith, before you plunk down £150 on a PC, how about letting us have a couple of days to try to get it going again for you for free?

Is the printer connected to your Mac by a USB cable now? That's the first step in getting it printing.

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi MacInWin, thank for taking an interest in my problem. Yes the Canon TS8351 is still connected by cable to my iMac, and I must report that prior to the accidental upgrade to Monterey it was operating quite satisfactory on the iMac. I wish I could just wind it back to High Sierra somehow!

Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, if it is connected, then open System Preferences either by clicking on the  in the upper left corner of the screen, then select it from the menu, or by clicking on the gear icon on the Dock. Once it opens click on Printers & Scanners and see if your printer is listed in the left panel. If it is, it should have a green dot showing it is online. If there is no green dot, but the name is there with a yellow dot, then first click on the lock icon in the lower left corner and provide an admin password to make changes, then right click on the printer name in the left and then choose Resume Printer...

If the printer is NOT listed in the left panel, click on the lock, provide a password and then click on the "+" below the left panel to add your printer. You should see a new window of all the printers the Mac can communicate with. Select your printer and then click on the Add button on the bottom right corner.

That should get you printing. Let us know how it goes.

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jake, The printer is listed but has a yellow dot along side it, I do not have a padlock anywhere in the box. Tried various things but nothing seems to work. I honestly think I am flogging a dead horse on this one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I think you are close. Here is a picture of what I seen in System Preferences/Printers & Scanners:

Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 2.55.22 PM.jpg
The lock is in the bottom left corner. If you don't have a lock, don't worry about it. If you do, click on it and enter your password. The Amber light means the printer is not online to the Mac, which could be because the printer is powered off, or the cable is bad, or the Mac has lost the connection itself. So, make sure the printer is actually turned on and the lights are on. If that doesn't turn the light green, then click once on the printer in the left panel, then click on the "-" symbol at the bottom of the panel to delete the printer. You may or may not get a warning about that, but press on and delete it. Then click on the "+" button and look for the printer in the list to add it back to your system. Select it from the list and click "Add" to add the printer. It should now appear again in the left, but this time with a green dot. That means it's ready to go.

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jake, you are nothing short of a genius! I followed your instruction an low and behold my printer is recognised and WORKING. A million thanks!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Happy to help, Keith!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats Keith.

Nice job Jake!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Jake, you are nothing short of a genius! I followed your instruction an low and behold my printer is recognised and WORKING. A million thanks!!!

Congratulations and well done to all involved.

I wonder what exactly was wrong, but not to worry, it's just nice to know it is now working properly for you.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, printing is the hardest thing to do in the world of IT. Lots of "moving parts" and it's easy for a disconnect. The old trick of delete/restore works to fix a LOT of issues in that area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Patrick, printing is the hardest thing to do in the world of IT. Lots of "moving parts" and it's easy for a disconnect. The old trick of delete/restore works to fix a LOT of issues in that area.

Thanks Jake, but you don't need to remind me. ;-)
I used to hate getting a Mac help support call from some user who was having trouble getting their printer setup, especially a wireless printer.

I can even recall some setup instructions failing to mention that one needed a wireless router to get a wireless printer working properly!! Who would have guessed considering most Macs had Airport wireless built in.

But things seems to have improved a little bit the last few years.

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.