Canon Sierra conflict

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", MacbookPro 17", Sierra on iMac, iPad Pro, cell, iPhone 6
The scan function my Canon (Pixma MX475) multifunction has died. After much time spent combing the Canon site, I found update drivers for Sierra (dating from Sept 16 2016). I downloaded and installed them. Still the message of scanner not connecting with computer.
The connection is wifi and that is working, according to the multifunction's pilot light and properly operating print function.
The scanner ran well from a nearby Windows computer (win 7). It also ran more or less well from an older but "El Capitan-ed" Macbook Pro.
I am still waiting for answers to pleas for help from the Canon help line.
Has anyone else had problems of this sort?
As for Canon Service, I live in Rome and the nearest center is in Milan. High-speed rail to and from Milan is excellent, but the travel costs would be greater than if I bought another printer (preferably not Canon!)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Others will probably disagree with me, but I will not purchase another Canon printer. Canon makes great cameras (and probably should stick to that) but their printers in my opinion are poorly made and their service support is wanting. Most printer manufacturers focus on providing drivers and support for Windows. Even very old printers are mostly supported and still work with modern versions of Windows but not OS X. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Have you tried this suggestion:

http://mac.thetutorialfree.com/2016...for-mac-os-x-10-12-sierra-how-to-get-install/

And specially the part:

7. How-to Get & Install MX474/MX475 Scanner Mac OS X Driver:

Get
MX474/MX475 Scanner Mac QuickStart
MX474/MX475 Driver SetUp.

EDIT:
Note that Pixma MX475 is listed as supported at Apple's site:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201465#Canon
Canon MX470 series *

Note: An asterisk (*) indicates a recent update.

PS: I don't know if there's any difference in the European models.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.