Cannot open individual photos

Reaction score
I suddenly have a mystery. When I go to the Photos file and 2x click on a photo it flashes briefly and then I get a grey rectangle with a triangle in the center with an exclamation point. I can open photos in the normal manner after October 2021 but anything older than that shows the exblamation point. That "image" closes when I 2x click it so the Mac thinks it is a photo. The odd thing is if I tell the exclamatio point to print the true photo opens in print preview. This just started a few days ago, Appreciate any suggestions.

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
How did you import the images? There are two options, one to import the actual file into Photos library, the other is to leave the file where it is and just record the location. Your symptom is one of using the latter option and then moving the original image files so that Photos no longer can find the full file. It has the thumbnail, but can't find the full file.

You can check the settings in Photos Preferences. There is an option on the General tab.

Given that more recent images are available, what changed in October, 2021? Did you change the setting, or upgrade anything?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Well done, Sue. (y)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Tried the repair suggested by bedshoehabit and it worked beautifully. All files, dating back to 1915, now open in the usual manner. Thanks very much. poppi
No code has to be inserted here.
Great. 1915...you must be our oldest member! :ROFLMAO:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.