Can you copy dvds on a macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz (white), iPod Photo 40GB, iPod Nano 4GB
Thanks

Very informative thread, guys. Thank you. This is stuff that I can do in my sleep on a PC, but as a fairly recent switcher, still need some help on with my Mac. I think I got it all now, so thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" CD iMac and black C2D MacBook
Following on from the original question - and assuming it's legal - I want to rip a couple of my DVDs to watch on my PDA which is running Windows Mobile with Windows Media Player and RealPlayer: how do I convert the output to .wmv or any other file type compatible with those programs (.mp4 will not play).

Thanks.

Reaction score
Ok, I'm seeing a LOT of misinformation in this thread.

3-Mac the Ripper will simply copy a DVDs Video_TS folder to your Hard Drive.

4-You need Toast or Popcorn to burn that Video_TS folder BACK to a new DVD. This process is lossless and you retain full quality from the original.

If all you want to do is copy a DVD to another DVD, use MacTheRipper. If you want to convert DVDs to watch on your Mac, iPod or eventual AppleTV, then Handbrake is the App for you.

Ok, I am a new user to mac and still slightly confused. If I want to copy DVDs on my macbook, all I need is MacTheRipper, but if I want to copy incripted DVDs I need MacTheRipper and Popcorn? Is there any burning application that is free?

M

MacHeadCase

Ok, I am a new user to mac and still slightly confused. If I want to copy DVDs on my macbook, all I need is MacTheRipper, but if I want to copy incripted DVDs I need MacTheRipper and Popcorn? Is there any burning application that is free?

You do know talking about this is against forum rules, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Following on from the original question - and assuming it's legal - I want to rip a couple of my DVDs to watch on my PDA which is running Windows Mobile with Windows Media Player and RealPlayer: how do I convert the output to .wmv or any other file type compatible with those programs (.mp4 will not play).

The legality of this is questionable, as is the legality of making backup copies of DVDs...

On one hand, copyright law states that we have the right to create backups of copyrighted material for personal use. Yay that. However, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act states that it is illegal to break the encryption/copy protection on digital media. That means that in order to make that legal backup for personal use, you have to do something that is also by definition illegal.

Now that I have a two-year old (who loves loading my DVDs into the player, and doesn't seem to be concerned about how sticky his hands are while he does this), I plan on backing up a chunk of my child-friendly DVD collection and letting him use those. Am I breaking the law? I suppose I am. However, I don't expect the MPA to break down my door since I have no intentions of giving those copies to friends or posting them on the Internet.

MacTheRipper is the tool that violates the DMCA by breaking the CSS encryption. Popcorn and DVD2OneX are tools that compress dual-layer DVD9 video onto single-layer DVD5 capable media. These tools are legal because they will not work with CSS encrypted files.

I hope I'm not violating the user agreement of this forum by discussing this, having also stated the (lack of) legality of using the tool.

Back to the question above -- if you have a legal DVD (that is, one that's not encrypted, however you get your DVD de-encrypted is up to you), then a tool such as Popcorn will create a DivX file that can be played with third-party software on a Windows Mobile device (the name of the tool that I've used escapes me at the moment, but suffice it to say that Windows Media Player does not handle DivX, but you should have no trouble googling "DivX Windows Mobile" and finding a player).

If you want to create a WMV file on the Mac, then you'll need to fork out the $50 for flip4mac studio, and I'm not sure if it will handle the VOB files inside of a VIDEO_TS folder.

For more information, feel free to do a search on videohelp.com for something like "DVD to WMV" -- you'll find a load of Windows tools, but you may also find something for the Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.