Can U.S motherboard be used in U.K machine

Reaction score
Hi
I am looking to try and replace a motherboard in a Powermac G4.
Can anyone tell me whether it is Ok to use a motherboard pulled from a machine in the states.
I am conscious of the fact electrical currency is different in the U.S and wondered whether this may cause problems if I try to put UK DC thru it
Many thanks for reading

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
I don't think there is a problem with the different currents in the US and the UK. At least on Mac laptops, the AC adapter converts the electrical energy into AC power that the computer can use. When I was in Italy, it worked fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD
At least on Mac laptops, the AC adapter converts the electrical energy into AC power that the computer can use.

I think you meant to say the AC adapter converts the electrical energy into DC power.

You should be fine in theory as the power unit converts the AC power, be that 220v or 110v into DC power.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
On a G4 tower you have the option on the rear of selecting 110/220 volt so it will be fine if you have the right selection.

OP
L
Reaction score
Hello
Many thanks for replying
Just to be clear on this The unit state that this is AC input (UK power). So if I use a US motherboard do I need to use a universal adapter? (to convert AC into DC). I can see no switch anywhere on the tower to change the currencies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, your power PSU is already configured for 220v UK power. This is the power going into the PSU.

Both and American and a UK PSU will output the same DC current.

If there was a switch on you PSU (Power Supply Unit) it would only be so that you could plug the PSU into both a UK and a USA socket, it has nothing to do with the DC current that is output.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let us know how you get on

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.