Can PreSonus Firewire Project 10x10 Interface be used on Big Sur?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
In 2012 I purchased a PreSonus Firewire Project 10x10 interface that used firewire. Can this device be used on a new MacBook Pro running on MacOS Big Sir? I did purchase the necessary adapters that would convert firewire to thunderbolt.

Someone at PreSonus told me that this pretrial won't run on Big Sur, only on Mojave. I want to double check here. Thanks

1606197596369.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unless someone here in our forums is familiar with the Firestudio, you probably should take the word of the folks at PreSonus.

Big Sur like Catalina will not run any software that is 32 bit. I suspect the kexts (drivers) for the Firestudio are 32 bit and won't run. Mojave was the last version of macOS to support 32 bit apps and drivers.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unless someone here in our forums is familiar with the Firestudio, you probably should take the word of the folks at PreSonus.

Big Sur like Catalina will not run any software that is 32 bit. I suspect the kexts (drivers) for the Firestudio are 32 bit and won't run. Mojave was the last version of macOS to support 32 bit apps and drivers.
Thank you for your reply.
Someone at PreSonus suggested said I could dual boot from Big Sur to Mojave. But is it smart for me to do a dual boot? Audio takes up a lot of space, as do the files I will be using Big Sur for. I guess I should investigate purchasing a new product.

Where can I increase my knowledge on the technical aspects of areas you talked about such as "Catalina not running 32 bit" and "kexts(drivers) ect?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If your Mac is old enough to boot into Mojave, which means the Mac would have to be a 2018 or earlier model. You could get an older model to support your hardware.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If your Mac is old enough to boot into Mojave, which means the Mac would have to be a 2018 or earlier model. You could get an older model to support your hardware.
Thanks. I'll just update my recording interface.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 5.1 3.1 2.1 iMacs,Minis,Lampshade,G4,G3 desktops ColorClassic (PPC),etc
I've had several Presonus interfaces (including the Project). Firewire audio interfaces are slowly becoming extinct as they are discontinued or reach the 64bit border. The latest driver available for the Project on their site is for Mojave (as one would expect). It still commands a good price though, because of the fact that it still runs up to Mojave.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've had several Presonus interfaces (including the Project). Firewire audio interfaces are slowly becoming extinct as they are discontinued or reach the 64bit border. The latest driver available for the Project on their site is for Mojave (as one would expect). It still commands a good price though, because of the fact that it still runs up to Mojave.
Might you be able to suggest one I can purchase this week for a new MacBook Pro 2019? I would hope to take advantage of the sales.
I'll have to try to sell my old gear too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you haven't already, you might take a few minutes to identify your current needs. How many ins and outs, how many mic/XLR inputs, do you need S/PDIF, ADAT. Are you going to be recording you and a guitar or a whole band. i just sold a 10x10 Project to help pay for a Focusrite Saffire that has all the bells and whistles I could need, and it goes up to Catalina ...but it would be overkill to many.
I personally wouldn't rush to buy something like this to save a few bucks...plus..I always buy used haha!

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you haven't already, you might take a few minutes to identify your current needs. How many ins and outs, how many mic/XLR inputs, do you need S/PDIF, ADAT. Are you going to be recording you and a guitar or a whole band. i just sold a 10x10 Project to help pay for a Focusrite Saffire that has all the bells and whistles I could need, and it goes up to Catalina ...but it would be overkill to many.
I personally wouldn't rush to buy something like this to save a few bucks...plus..I always buy used haha!
Thanks for your expert input. I'm just am amateur. I want to record me singing with a guitar, bass, ukulele and Yamaha motif. If I ever need to record with one or two other people that would be good too. But I am by no means professional. I want to start playing on Garageband and work my way up to Logic. Someone suggested the PreSonus Quantum 2626.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So here is my definition of expert…

x is an unknown quantity and ...
a spurt is a drip under pressure Haha!
(I’m from the UK and a “drip” is a feeble, stupid person)

I’ve had a couple of Presonus Firestudio 26x26. The Quantum looks EXACTLY like them except it has Thunderbolt instead of Firewire.

Quite an expensive very powerful unit with lots of room to grow, (up to 26 inputs!!!!). Plus you get a good DAW with it too. Check out the manual..
https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/downloads/products/pdf/Quantum_2626_Owners_Manual_EN_04052020.pdf

The Project was such a good unit without paying for stuff you may never use. (ADAT).
If I was "getting started" I’d probably go with something a bit downscale but that I could easily sell if/when I want to move up.

So how much do you think you would save by buying something like the Quantum in the sales???

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So here is my definition of expert…

x is an unknown quantity and ...
a spurt is a drip under pressure Haha!
(I’m from the UK and a “drip” is a feeble, stupid person)

I’ve had a couple of Presonus Firestudio 26x26. The Quantum looks EXACTLY like them except it has Thunderbolt instead of Firewire.

Quite an expensive very powerful unit with lots of room to grow, (up to 26 inputs!!!!). Plus you get a good DAW with it too. Check out the manual..
https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/downloads/products/pdf/Quantum_2626_Owners_Manual_EN_04052020.pdf

The Project was such a good unit without paying for stuff you may never use. (ADAT).
If I was "getting started" I’d probably go with something a bit downscale but that I could easily sell if/when I want to move up.

So how much do you think you would save by buying something like the Quantum in the sales???
Thanks for the link and your input.
What is DAW?
What is ADAT?
And could you recommend a good unit that is not as expensive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Best advice I can give you right now is to spend a couple of hours on Google. All will be revealed!

And maybe take a look here:

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do have a iRig Pro I/O I purchased last year for my iPhone. I'm wondering if I can use that for now on my MacBook Pro.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Best advice I can give you right now is to spend a couple of hours on Google. All will be revealed!

And maybe take a look here:

Last night I purchased a Scarlett 4i4 audio interface by Focusrite. I purposely didn't purchase anything as complicated as my PreSonus this time.

Attachments

• IMG_1855.jpeg
    IMG_1855.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
It isn’t likely many older interfaces will support Big Sur anytime soon. Most of my stuff isn’t there yet either though I run all universal audio stuff and I hear they may have just now qualified for Big Sur, not sure on presonus.

looking at interfaces, it comes down to budget, and how good a preamp you really want. The cheaper stuff is ok, if you’re a home enthusiast it’ll do the job well. Studio one is a good daw. I’ve used it a lot over time, tho I use mostly pro tools because that’s what I have to send. I love the UA stuff, I have an apollo8, apollo8p, and a twin cascading to make 14 mic preamps with a behringer ada8200 for extras to make 20 more in (I record drums) the ua stuff is second to none, the unison channel strip modeling is unmatched, and their guitar am models are also killer. Slate or waves don’t measure up imo. For guitar/voice the Apollo twin is incredible, you can still get the tb2 version on sale for now. UA is one of the faster to support new OSs. I’m still on mojave because, it works and I don’t feel the need to update something that works for now. Interesting thing about my ua racks, you can update the thunderbolt card to tb3 if need be. I love that update ability. During these crazy times I’m glad to have this stuff to play with and use!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 13" MacBook Pro
For all people that was searching for the driver for olds presonus interfaces, I had the same problem today with my Firestudio project and I found this on GitHub:

It worked perfect for my 2017 MacBook Pro with Big Sur.
I hope that could work for some else here!!

Reaction score
Can be made to work in Catalina:
1) temporarily disable SIP
2) sudo Mount -uw /
It doesn't work in Big Sur.
Снимок экрана 2021-02-03 в 17.47.33.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For all people that was searching for the driver for olds presonus interfaces, I had the same problem today with my Firestudio project and I found this on GitHub:

Nice Find. Gonna see if it works with my old Firestudio 2626

Reaction score

Thanks!
Снимок экрана 2021-02-04 в 09.50.16.jpg

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.