Can no longer make calls from my M2 Mac Mini

Reaction score
Until I few weeks ago, I could make calls from both my Mac and my iPad via my iPhone. However, since restarting my Mac (to remove an item stuck in the Trash) I can no longer make calls from it. When I click on a phone number in FaceTime, I instantly receive a notification saying 'Call Failed'. Interestingly, the status bar on my iPhone responds by turning green and pulsing for thirty seconds before returning to normal, so it's obviously receiving some communication from my Mac. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? It's worth noting that I can still make calls from my iPad, so the problem obviously lies with my Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I had to turn the "Calls on other devices" option off on my iPhone, because it couldn't talk to my Studio.

Look on your iPhone, under the Cellular option for Calls on Other Devices. Make sure all of the devices you want to use.

OP
G
Reaction score
Both my Mac mini and iPad are listed. As I mentioned, everything was working perfectly before the Mac restart, so I don't think the problem's with my iPhone or its settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I would still deselect the Mac mini, restart the iPhone, then select the Mini again.

OP
G
Reaction score
Sadly, it didn't work. But thank you for the suggestion. I'm still hearing a single dialling tone followed by a pop-up notification informing me 'Call Failed'.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Can you make the same call directly from your iPhone? It is possible that the call actually did fail for reasons other than your Mini to iPhone connection.

OP
G
Reaction score
Can you make the same call directly from your iPhone? It is possible that the call actually did fail for reasons other than your Mini to iPhone connection.
The same call from my iPhone is fine. As it is if I call from my iPad. It's just the Mac that's refusing to play ball.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you restart the Mac?

As an aside, how do you talk since the Mini does not have a microphone?

OP
G
Reaction score
Could it have anything to do with this

Sonoma Causing Problems With USB Hubs
Now that IS interesting. I just read the article and checked what Apple had to say, and both suggest altering the 'Allow Accessories to Connect' option in the Mac's privacy settings. Except it's not there. From the screenshot, I'm guessing it should be nestled between 'Allow applications downloaded from' and 'FileVault', but it's missing from my settings. Which seems strange.

OP
G
Reaction score
Did you restart the Mac?

As an aside, how do you talk since the Mini does not have a microphone?
I did restart, which is when the problem began. As for the microphone: the few calls I make from my Mac are to automated services that require no response, apart from a few button presses.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Now that IS interesting. I just read the article and checked what Apple had to say, and both suggest altering the 'Allow Accessories to Connect' option in the Mac's privacy settings. Except it's not there. From the screenshot, I'm guessing it should be nestled between 'Allow applications downloaded from' and 'FileVault', but it's missing from my settings. Which seems strange.

Same here. Even when I search for "Allow accessories to connect", it appears to exist but Clicking on it does nothing. See here:

S1.jpg

I wonder if this "function" only applies to MacBooks and not Desktops???

Ian

OP
G
Reaction score
Same here. Even when I search for "Allow accessories to connect", it appears to exist but Clicking on it does nothing. See here:

View attachment 39328

I wonder if this "function" only applies to MacBooks and not Desktops???

Ian
I think you're right. The option doesn't seem to exist for desktops. But it still doesn't explain why my ability to make calls has disappeared. Especially as some form of communication is obviously getting through to the iPhone wirelessly. It's as if the call is being initiated by the Mac, but the iPhone is refusing the dialling data. Very odd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
According to this, you need to allow your iPhone to connect using the USB cord.

OP
G
Reaction score
According to this, you need to allow your iPhone to connect using the USB cord.

My iPhone is connected to my Mac via USB as we speak. I *think* desktops automatically recognise other devices. Only laptops need to/can give permission.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I did restart, which is when the problem began

Instead of just doing a restart, try doing a full Shutdown, wait 40 - 60 seconds and then try booting again, but you may also want to try booting into Safe Boot Mode, login and then Reboot again normally.

That may help purge and clear out something that might be causing the problem.

- Patrick
=======

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks, Patrick. I'll give it a go tomorrow. I'm working on something time-sensitive at the moment, so I don't want to be powering down at the moment.

OP
G
Reaction score
Instead of just doing a restart, try doing a full Shutdown, wait 40 - 60 seconds and then try booting again, but you may also want to try booting into Safe Boot Mode, login and then Reboot again normally.

That may help purge and clear out something that might be causing the problem.

- Patrick
=======
Sir, you are a genius! I don't know what booting into Safe Mode did (probably cleared a troublesome cache), but it did the trick – calls from my Mac are now up and running again. Thank you for the suggestion, I'm indebted to you.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Well done, Patrick (y) (y)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Sir, you are a genius! I don't know what booting into Safe Mode did (probably cleared a troublesome cache), but it did the trick – calls from my Mac are now up and running again. Thank you for the suggestion, I'm indebted to you.

Thank you GB, for your positive reply and your post back that the method worked. It's a methadone high and others have suggested for some time now. It just seems to fix a lot more things than a normal Restart.

I often also suggest running first aid in disutility when you were booted in safe boot mode and then do a normal restart, especially if the procedure didn't fix the problem the first time it often does after running the Disc Utility repair.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.