Can I switch accounts on AirTag?

Reaction score
I received an AirTag for Christmas and linked it to my Apple account. I realized I’d actually prefer to link it to a family member so I can wear it as a tracker when I’m hiking (no use tracking myself!)

Can I do this, or once you register it to one ID, is that it forever?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes, you can. You just need to Remove it from your Apple ID or use the battery removal/replacement procedure both of which are described in this Apple article;

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I received an AirTag for Christmas and linked it to my Apple account. I realized I’d actually prefer to link it to a family member so I can wear it as a tracker when I’m hiking (no use tracking myself!)

Can I do this, or once you register it to one ID, is that it forever?

I'm curious... do you plan on hiking in the city? Because out in the wilderness, or perhaps in areas with lots of other hikers but out of cellular range, it won't be of any use.

EDITED for clarity/brain fart

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I'm curious... do you plan on hiking in the city? Because out in the wilderness, or perhaps in areas with lots of other hikers while still in cellular range, it won't be of any use.
I agree about the areas that may not have a lot of iPhones, or cell coverage, but why "lots of other hikers while still in cellular range?" The AirTag will report its position through any Apple device it can connect with, so if there are other hikers, in cell range, and some are carrying iPhones (many do), then the AirTag will report position. Or am I misunderstanding what you said?

That said, if the OP is carrying their own iPhone, they can share their position through Find My, by letting their family member track that iPhone. Of course, that then gives the family member access to location even when the OP may prefer them not to have that information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree about the areas that may not have a lot of iPhones, or cell coverage, but why "lots of other hikers while still in cellular range?" The AirTag will report its position through any Apple device it can connect with, so if there are other hikers, in cell range, and some are carrying iPhones (many do), then the AirTag will report position. Or am I misunderstanding what you said?

What you said is what I said. Maybe "lots" was an unnecessary qualifier though. But if there are other hikers around, then you wouldn't exactly be lost or unfindable, unless laying unconscious off the trail?

That said, if the OP is carrying their own iPhone, they can share their position through Find My, by letting their family member track that iPhone. Of course, that then gives the family member access to location even when the OP may prefer them not to have that information.

That would be a more practical solution. But really, we need to figure out what the OP is intending to accomplish. Because I suspect the AirTag won't do what he/she thinks it will do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because out in the wilderness, or perhaps in areas with lots of other hikers while still in cellular range, it won't be of any use.
Sorry, I guess I misread that sentence as saying that in areas with lots of other hikers and in cell range the AirTag wouldn't work.

I agree, we need to know more about what the OP hopes to achieve. There are multiple approaches. But for the exact question asked, the given method to disassociate the AirTag is correct.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I guess I misread that sentence as saying that in areas with lots of other hikers and in cell range the AirTag wouldn't work.

I agree, we need to know more about what the OP hopes to achieve. There are multiple approaches. But for the exact question asked, the given method to disassociate the AirTag is correct.

Hmmm..... re-reading that, it does read poorly. LOL! I meant "out of cell range". Unless maybe the iPhones will report back a located AirTag after getting back into cell range.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Heh! LIAB, I think they do, within limits. Basically, as I understand it, the phones are polled on some interval for "did you hear from anything?" kind of reports. Obviously, after some time period, the answer will revert to "not recently" and the data lost, but if it happens in time, the phone would respond, "Yeah, a couple of (time units) ago, there, I heard this AirTag."

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
No replacement for a GPS beacon.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No replacement for a GPS beacon though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.