Can I save my photos as "pdf" or should they be "jpg"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" running High Sierra
Hi all,
this might sound like a silly question but I am just going through photo albums and going to scan them onto my computer. Can the photos be saved as a *pdf* or should they be saved as a *jpg*?
Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
jpg is the more typical format, or tiff (very large file). You can use pdf, but editing it later may be more of a challenge. Most photo manipulation programs work well with jpg.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You do not want to save them as PDFs as the file size for a high-res image will be many many megabytes as opposed to PNG or JPG which will be significantly less.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi frostygirl

Thank you for your post.

I just want to endorse Jake’s comments. You really have to stick with the format that the pictures were taken in - almost certainly jpeg (jpg, same thing).

This format is compatible with virtually all viewing apps or programmes and is the format most suitable for editing. I don’t think you should consider anything else - certainly not pdf.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Are you trying to save storage space? Usually when I scan pictures, I use 300 dpi for clearer/sharper images.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (2012) and MacBook Pro (2015)
Hi all,
this might sound like a silly question but I am just going through photo albums and going to scan them onto my computer. Can the photos be saved as a *pdf* or should they be saved as a *jpg*?
Thank you
I have scanned many old photos (many from color negatives or slides) and the best format to go to is JPG. You are scanning prints? JPG is a compressed format so if you have a lot of room (and more time) you could scan with a higher resolution. By the way TIFF and PNG are other formats that are not compressed but are not as commonly used (for photos) as JPG.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.