Can a usb cable transmit two different signals?

Reaction score
I have a usb cable connecting a MBP laptop to a PTZ conference camera. The laptop is on a work station that does not have a direct line of sight to the camera, so I'm looking to get an IR extender in order to use the remote control that came with the camera. To my knowledge, this will require running another wire from the workstation to the camera in order to connect the two sensors of the IR extender that need to be placed.

But, I'm wondering...

...instead of running another wire for the IR extender, can I instead "split" a usb cable using a "box/splitter" on each end, and have the usb cable both send the video from the camera to the laptop and transmit the remote control sensor the camera sensor? In other words, can I split a usb cable, and use one "split" for the video and the other "split" for the remote?

Am I making sense? Is this possible?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You can plug in a USB hub to a single port on the computer and plug in multiple devices to the hub and use them as you see fit. You don't necessarily split the cable, the hub has additional hardware to create additional ports than what you have.

OP
B
Reaction score
You can plug in a USB hub to a single port on the computer and plug in multiple devices to the hub and use them as you see fit. You don't necessarily split the cable, the hub has additional hardware to create additional ports than what you have.
That seems like a good way to go about it.

So, if I do this, and connect a USB hub to each end of the USB cable, I'll be able to use the cable for dual purposes (ie. receive video to the laptop and send remote control signals to the camera), right?

And, if that does work, do you know of any IR extenders that connect to USB hubs and do not require their own separate cable?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I honestly don't think you can do what you are asking. IF, and that is a key IF, the data you want to transmit over the USB cable is coming from the computer at one end to device(s) at the other end, you just need a hub at the other end to connect all of the devices to. But, from reading, you seem to have two devices that you want to connect and then somehow multiplex the signals over a single USB cable to avoid a second line. That, I am pretty sure, is not possible, even with multiple hubs. There is a slave/master relationship in the USB protocol that only allows ONE device to be the controller and that is in the computer end, not the device end. So, the IR controller would have to go THROUGH the computer to the USB cable, which I gather from your description is not what you are looking to do.

OP
B
Reaction score
I honestly don't think you can do what you are asking. IF, and that is a key IF, the data you want to transmit over the USB cable is coming from the computer at one end to device(s) at the other end, you just need a hub at the other end to connect all of the devices to. But, from reading, you seem to have two devices that you want to connect and then somehow multiplex the signals over a single USB cable to avoid a second line. That, I am pretty sure, is not possible, even with multiple hubs. There is a slave/master relationship in the USB protocol that only allows ONE device to be the controller and that is in the computer end, not the device end. So, the IR controller would have to go THROUGH the computer to the USB cable, which I gather from your description is not what you are looking to do.
Yeah, I'm thinking you're correct.

Given the frustration I've encountered trying to get this camera setup, I think I'd be better off just getting a new PTZ camera that's compatible with the MBP.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That seems like a good way to go about it.

So, if I do this, and connect a USB hub to each end of the USB cable, I'll be able to use the cable for dual purposes (ie. receive video to the laptop and send remote control signals to the camera), right?

And, if that does work, do you know of any IR extenders that connect to USB hubs and do not require their own separate cable?

Thanks.
No, you cannot plug a hub into either side of the cable. You connect a hub to the MBP, thereby extending a single USB port to multiple devices.

USB is a master-slave setup, whereby the MBP is the master and the other devices are slaves. You cannot randomly change this ordering.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hold on a sec. You are just looking to use an IR extender for the camera? I've not used one, but from what I understand, the USB end on these is used just to power the IR parts on the opposite ends. There is no actual signal used from the computer for these. In fact, you can just use a USB charging brick.

krs

Reaction score
My understanding of the OP's original post is totally different and has nothing to do with powering the IR extender.
The IR extender is basically an IR receiver at one end where the IR remote is being used,then a physical cable to transmit the signal and an IR transmitter at the PTZ camera end.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B014EDRH3G/
Instead of having to run that extender cable between the two locations, the OP was wondering if the USB cable that is already there between the workstation and the camera could also be used to transmit the IR signal instead ofhaving to run a separate cable.
I think the answer to that is a definite "NO"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
My understanding of the OP's original post is totally different and has nothing to do with powering the IR extender.
The IR extender is basically an IR receiver at one end where the IR remote is being used,then a physical cable to transmit the signal and an IR transmitter at the PTZ camera end.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B014EDRH3G/
Instead of having to run that extender cable between the two locations, the OP was wondering if the USB cable that is already there between the workstation and the camera could also be used to transmit the IR signal instead ofhaving to run a separate cable.
I think the answer to that is a definite "NO"
Could be. I was confused as to why he said he might just get a new camera. That wouldn’t solve anything here. I quite frankly had a little trouble as it was following the initial question. But yes, definite “no” to dual-purposing the existing USB connection.

krs

Reaction score
Could be. I was confused as to why he said he might just get a new camera. That wouldn’t solve anything here.
When I looked at the PTZ camera yesterday (to see what that even is), there was another version called "Group" which was like $500 more than the basic unit with IR remote which I assume the OP has.
That version comes with a remote that somehow uses software to control it and it does not rely on an IR remote that depends on line-of-sight.
I quickly tried to find that page again but got busy otherwise and stopped looking

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.